Pro Tools Mixing?

zerotosixty

I'm looking to purchase a Mac and the Digi 001 package soon, and I was wondering what kind of mixer I could use with it other than the expensive HUI, and the overpriced Motor Mix. I want a mixer that will work with the software, and not color the sound like Mackie boards do. I know that tascam has a pretty good unit I think it's called "US428 USB Audio Interface controller" for a reasonable $479. Does anyone know if this will integrate with Pro Tools LE?

As far as I know the US-428 is not avaialble yet..and is supposed to be bundled with VST..Also the faders are not motorized.. I probably going to buy one as soon as it comes out.. ( 5-1)

[This message has been edited by Bassman (edited 04-18-2000).]

Sorry can't answer your question.. but maybe you can answer mine.. Where did you see the US428 for sale? I am very interested in getting one.. Thanks

It won't be on the market until June.

They have the specs at the tascam site. Harmony-central too. And the $479 is MSRP, so you just might be able to get it cheaper. I'm interested too, but umma gunna hold out for a bit, see whats said when people really start using it. It says it works with "all major" software. Looks like the best price for getting a small, but good quality up and running, and plug and play suits my computer sensibilities, but we'll just have to wait and see. -lzb

I gotta ask you guys, whats wrong with mixing it on the computer in software? The Digi's got a great mixer built-in.

Just wonderin.

Layth

I just like the feel of having faders at my hands, but I guess I could easily live without it. I also must admit that I like the look of having a nice mixer sitting in my studio, it just doesn't look right without one. But your right I probably should use the software for mixing 1st, then decide if I really need a mixer and if I do, then save up for a nice one. Like the Mackie HUI! That unit looks amazing.

I'm trying to bone up on digital recording prior to buying a dedicated computer and setting up a mix/overdub studio in my garage.
I am worried about mixing via mouse - there are lots of nice older boards for sale cheap around me, 16 and 24 track.
What do I do about using one with my computer - plugs, cords, etc.
As you might guess i'm not very tech-minded, yet.
Another question: I can record drums and some guitars live and loud in a rehearsal room downtown. This would be to Tascam 1/4" eight-track.
Then how would I transfer to computer file for fiddling with and adding vocals, dubs and so on?
Thanks for a any advice
JAA

I've been thinking about this too,
considering a digital mixer, like the new Fostex, or a 01V. Something that has ADAT or TDIF in, and integrating it with a soundcard that has ADAT or TDIF out (MOTU, Aark 24)
I could just use the software for editing and mix with the board and use the effects from both. Of course there is money involved, but maybe digital mixers will get cheaper and better.

The USB controllers like the TASCAM (Peavey makes one for Cakewalk and Roland has one coming out) seem like a great option, but with a digital board, you'd have more flexibility and power.

Then again a good old analog board would probably be the easiest and best- but then you have the D/A/D conversion issue. Hopefully one day high end converters will be dirt cheap- imagine the possibilities if Analog and digital could work seamlessly back and forth... (within a reasonable price range)

-jhe

Back