Pro Tools LE

Flick

This one is for all you who know Pro tools. i want to begin learning the industry standard, but as many here, do not have the mucho dough it takes to get a full blown Pro tools set-up. Until I do, is pro tools LE something which I can build on? Will learning this help me know the bigger rigs in the future? or do you guys suggest saving my money?

Learning with Pro Tools Free is an excellent choice.

Note that it is restricted as to the operating systems it will run on. You may need to set up a dual boot system.

Well from there you would have to get digi 001, 002, 002 rackmount version, or m-box. Unless you can afford a HD system, but your here at homerecording so i dout so. LE and HD basically operate the same way. I have a digi 001, and it f'n rules. The only things i really dont like about it is(version 5.3.1-windows) only does 32 trax and so many aux's, the hole cpu thing with plug ins, and the d-verb bug.
But im sure all daw's have there pro's and cons. Version 6 is coming out, so lets see what digi's gonna hook us up with.

I have a 002 and I really love it, but I have PT because I need it. If you are just starting out, I don't think PT is the best deal in town.

Sure, you are learning an interface that some pros use, but...so what? The important thing is to learn HOW to record and you can do that with any DAW. After a couple years on any system, it only takes a few days to get up to speed with any other system (within reason.)

The best deal it PT LE is the Mbox. You have no upgrade options, but when you buy something else at least you have the little USB box for remote recording or traveling. If you start with any other PT LE system, remember that your only upgrade paths are a) buying outboard convertors and preamps and b) replacing the entire system.

I'd only go the PT LE route if you know you need PT. If not, relax and enjoy the many less expensive options out there. Pro Tools is very simple and easy to learn so you can pick it up fairly quick when you need it.

Take care,
Chris

Try the LE version if you're able to get it to work on your computer. If you have Win XP I think it won't even install. I tried it on my machine with Win ME and had to dump it because it kept locking up, and from what I hear I'm not the only one with this type of problem. But hey! Give it a shot, you may be one of the lucky ones to get it to work.

yeah

Thanks to all who have contributed. The reason I was asking about this was because Cubase SX is poofing on me more times than not, and I am not able to very productive. i am going to sound engineering college next year, and thought I could get a jump and leave cubase behind. aaaaah the poofing is driving me insane

Try downloading n-track. For its price it has a lot of features and will get you up with the terminology and general technology of the industry. The trial version is pretty full function and the registered version is darn cheap for what you get.

Back