Pro tools LE and Powerbook need a little help

sk8ingsnowman

I am a recording arts student looking to ditch my G4 tower and 001 for something a little more portable, powerbook and 002RACK. I was looking at the 15" 1ghz powerbook fastest processor best computer right?(could not afford the 17")

I began comparing the 15" with the 12" and found everything in the 12" is faster except the processor (867mhz vs. 1ghz)

12 inch has ddr memory and an ultra ATA/100 hard drive.
15 inch has sdram and an ultra ATA/66 hard drive.

What is better to have a slightly faster Processor or a faste hard drive and ram?
screen size is not that big of a deal because I can hook the laptop up to my apple display for mixing. Anyone every track on a 12" is it hard?

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...sonR4pPkuKousm/0.0.5.1.0.5.21.1.1.1.1.0.0.1.0

any help is awsome

thanks
DAN!

For recording the faster HDD and RAM is better.

THe reason is because you most likely would not exceed the ability of the processor doing recording, since you'd be running only one program.

However, the RAM might very well be pushed to the limit. And of course the HDD would just make it easier and faster to access things if and when the RAM is exceeded.

So definetely the HDD and RAM should be more.

Also, my guess that a 12 inch monitor is VERY hard to see with. Shoot I have a 19 inch and if I was gonna build a studio I'd either get a flat 21 or get a 50 inch plasma just to see better.

A 12 inch would be horrible.

What's the point of portability if you're using your monitor? I guess you're just gonna be portable for other things and non-portable for recording?

In that case, why ditch the computer - why not have both?

Thirdly - weather an 867 or a one gig - that's an awfully small amount of processing power.

Oy! I couldn't imagine working on a 12" monitor. I have a 15" widescreen (PC) and even then I have a second 17" moitor for hardcore recording and editing. And with a laptop, what you buy is what you get. A 12" window into your computer's world is *really* small. :(

Take care,
Chris

Back