Pro Tools LE 7? Should I upgrade from 6.4?

Feanor IV

Hey guys,

I really didn't know where I should post this, since there's no pro tools board... Weird.... ;) Anyway, so have you guys tried out the new Pro Tools LE 7? I'm currently running 6.4, so I though I should upgrade. It's only 65€ anyway....... But I thought I'd ask to see what other people think, first..... So, any opinions?

Personally I'd give it 6 months for them to get any kinks worked out and for the studios to catch up (if that's something you need to consider) .... that's just me though.

They had a deal for awhile where you'd get 2 free plug-ins with the upgrade, which was pretty killer. If it was still in effect, I'd say buy the upgrade to get the plugs ... but it's over AFAIK. ;)

My buddy bought PT7 and got his 2 free plugs. He loves the plug-ins but he's gone back to PT 6.9 for now. The new features and additions are apparently not enough to overcome the concerns he has about backward compatibility with older plug-ins (i.e. not yet optimized for PT7) and interoperability with PT 6.x systems (PT7 saves projects with a new file extention that won't open in PT6.x -- you have to save your PT7 project as a .pts to make it compatible with a 6.x rig) .

IMO, it's worth it. I've seen the changes and I currently also have 6.4. I would say there really is no debate around it. 6.4 was very stable, but it's a big jump to 7 with a lot of new features and extra RTAS processing available.

i've heard of some plugins not working with it, and if you are worried about that...then maybe it's not for you. I don't really think the converting the file to 6.x verisons is that big of deal because they did that for a long time on older versions of Pro Tools too...so it's nothing new.

here's all the new features if you were wondering: http://protoolsforum.com/WhatIsNew.html

yeah I already checked their site ;) It sounds perfect, but I just wanted to hear what you guys thought about it ;)(

don't know about 001. But you sure can use it with the mbox's. Check digidesign.com they're offering pretty precise info on the subject.

Back