Pro Tools help needed pleeeeease!!!!!

sonicpaint

Ok here goes.

I've been recording slowly over time with Pro Tools and the sessions have been getting larger with some plug-ins and a few busses. I've bounced to disk before with the occasional "bounce handler can't keep up error" but have always been able to increase the H/W buffer size and bounce the file to disk.

Well now I can't seem to bounce to disk and I'm trying to figure out if it's my CPU that I need to upgrade or my RAM? There is one more thing that doesn't' make sense to me and maybe someone can take a stab at it.

You see it won't let me bounce my session but when I loaded the "demo Session" that came with Pro Tools "which is much larger) it plays and bounces to disk with out any problems. I would think that if I can't bounce to disk with my session it shouldn't be able to do it with another session that is bigger and more complex then my own, right?

What I'd like to know is if I should upgrade my CPU or get some more Ram? I have a 1.7ghz celeron with almost 700 MB of RAM. If I do upgrade will this get ride of the "bounce to disk problem"?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Almost forgot, I'm running Pro Tools 6.1 on windows xp.

sonicpaint
:(

No wonder you have a problem with celeron, You definitely need a better cpu. Your ram is fine, try going for a pentium rather than a celeron next time, they handle audio processing much faster and better than celeron.

A few other standard bits of advice.

1) Disconnect and disable all internet and network connections while bouncing.

2) Turn off any antivirus and antispam software. Turn everything off, actually- have only Pro Tools open.

3) In Pro Tools bounce dialog, make sure you "Convert after bounce"

Good luck!
Chris

Jeyan I guess your advising I get a P4 2Ghz then? Just asking to make sure what your recommending.

Chris as to those tips you've suggested I've done them all and them some.:) That could be the reason my CPU has held up until now (i'm assuming). The computer I use for recording is just to do that so I make sure that all other processes that could run in the back ground are shut off. What version of Pro Tools are you running and what's your PC setup Chris? Have you had any bounce to disk problems?

I've done research on the Digi site and have found many helpful tips and such though I thought I'd be able to get away with my current setup but it's not looking that way. Maybe it's time for a new 2Ghz P4.

Thanks for your responses guys,
sonicpaint

first of all, protools is not recommended for use with a celeron.

second of all, protools is not recommended for use with the chipsets associated with celeron processors.

This is a CPU thing. Trust me. I have 1 gig ram and a P4 2.4 ghz and I've gotten similar errors--but it's only when I'm running mass plugs ins. To solve the problem I either convert files after bouce or take out some plugs.

fenix said:
first of all, protools is not recommended for use with a celeron.

second of all, protools is not recommended for use with the chipsets associated with celeron processors.

This is a CPU thing. Trust me. I have 1 gig ram and a P4 2.4 ghz and I've gotten similar errors--but it's only when I'm running mass plugs ins. To solve the problem I either convert files after bouce or take out some plugs.

Celerons use the same chipsets Pentiums do. It's possible to run PTLE on a Celeron.....just don't expect massive track counts/plug-ins.

S-paint,

I have a p4-m 2gig, 512 ram, and an external 7200 rpm drive. PTLE 6.1.1 running on XP with SP1.

I do get BTD errors on occasion, but only at the top end of my plug/track counts. Kinda frustrating, actually- If I can mix with the bloody things, why can't I bounce to disk with them?

Of course, as that point, I can also render a few of the CPU hungry tracks with audiosuite plugins and have done with it. Instead I usually try to fiddle with it- more for the (futile) sense of mastery and control than anything- but that IS what the audiosuite plugs were designed for. Save your plug settings, reload them in the identical audiosuite plug and render. Just so it in the same order as the plugs are.

I then disable or delete the plugs.

FWIW, I haven't optimized my computer for audio beyond setting the paging file size and setting it for background service optimizing. Its also a work compuer, so I tend to leave *some* of the nice features (like ClearType font rendering- easy on the eyes) enabled. It still does almost anything I ask it to do, and I only run into trouble using too many softsynths, rewire tracks, and plugs.

I second the vote to replace the celeron. Media work brings the low end processor lines to their knees right quick.

Take care,
Chris

More than just a processor!!!

Well it turns out that I'll being buying more than just a CPU. I wish this wasn't true but it looks like this is going to have to happen.

It turns out that my computer set up is a lot worse than I thought. Not only is my CPU a celeron but my ram is PC133 for F@*k sakes!!!:eek: So you all know what that means. I need to get a new Motherboard, CPU and RAM....I got so burned on my current "studio computer" that I'll be licking the wounds for a long time to come.....shit, shIT SHIT!!!!!!!!:mad:

Well here is what I'm going to do. I talked to a fellow Pro Tools user at the local computer store and this is what he's recommended for starters(after breaking the news to me about my current shitty system). He's recommending going AMD and this is the 3 items he mentioned I should replace.

1. motherboard=Asus A7N8X-DX
2. CPU= AMD XP 2500 Barton
3. RAM= 512MB DDR 400mhz (he recommended 1GB or RAM but this will have to do for now)

What do you guys think of this setup. I'd greatly appreciate everyones opinions.

Thanks guys,
sonicpaint :(

Thanks Chris.

Hey Chris thanks for your responses I really appreciate it. It seems that what I listed is good and has had great performance. The only small difference was the motherboard. Instead of the Asus A7N8X-DX their recommending the Asus A7V600(which is cheaper from what I could tell).

I'll be going to get the hardware today or tomorrow to put it all together. I need to back up all my files first before I reformat the drive.

Thanks to all who responded,
sonicpaint

I got the A7V600 and a 2500+ Barton for PT 6.1.1 with an 002r Amazing machine!!!

It is the way to go. My 2500 is clocking up to 3200+ in system bios so no need for more IMHO:)

That's awesome!

Hey Ella,

Thanks for your response I can't wait until I put my new machine together. I'll be going tomorrow to get the parts. Your 2500 is pushing 3200+? You overclocking? I'm assuming.

thanks,
sonicpaint

Back