Pro Tools consistent freeze

fris9

Had my drummer down today to redo a drum track and out of the blue am getting the "not getting data fast enough" or whatever message. Every once in awhile this happens but now it's happening every single time. The crazy thing is that it keeps happening within 3 seconds of the same place, about 35 seconds in to the song. Restarting doesn't help and I haven't changed anything since we recorded last week. Using PT 7.3 with Mac OSX and Firewire 1814. Help!

You need to upgrade your ram. Your not sending enough data back an fourth. You could always change your h/w buffer size and see if that works.

Ram was upgraded not long ago, and yes, the message is the DAE not getting audio fast enough. Like I said above, the crazy thing is that it's happening every time about 30 seconds into the song. I'm recording 6 tracks (drums) at a time and have done it the exact same way for quite awhile with no problems. The only thing that changed was that I did a software update. Thinking maybe something I updated is screwing with PT?

Under playback engine, and at the bottom there is a hard drive setting that determines how fast audio is pulled off the drive or something. Make sure that is on default and you should be good, it could have been changed during an update. I think its level 2 or something, I can't pull PT up now to check though.

+1 for ddrummer8.

If this is going to be a persistent problem for you in the future, you could, reduce your sample rate.
If you happen to be recording at 96k, the harddrive is sending and reading twice as much as it would for the same reason at 48k.

If you're already working at 41 or 48k, then maybe it's time for a hard drive upgrade. intel ssd comes highly recommended.

of course,,,there could actually be corrupt data or something? much less likely, but possible.

forgot to ask, does it stop after 35 seconds, or does it stop AT the 35 second mark.
for example, if you played it from 30 seconds, would it stop at 65, or would it just be fine.

There is about a 15 second delay before drums come in, so about 20 seconds or so of playing and then the freeze.....every time. I checked the playback engine, it's set to level 2 like ddrummer recommended. It's at 512 samples and 85% cpu limit. It's also at 44.1 and 24 bit, again, all settings I've always used before with no problems. What would the effect be of lowering the sample rate?

What would the effect be of lowering the sample rate?

i explained this above. Half as much data is being read as the files are half the size.
Doesn't really matter though if your sessions are already at 44.1

If it stops at exactly the same place every single time, i'd suspect a corrupt or troublesome file.

Personally, i'd make a copy of the whole session somewhere else on your drive, or better yet on a different drive.
If the new copy does the same thing, then my idea is ruled out.

I thought of the corrupt file thing too, so I created a brand new file....same thing at about the same spot. Guess maybe my only move now is to "buy a call" for Digidesign support and see what happens. Only problem is the only time I get the error is when I'm recording the 6 simultaneous tracks, so if any potential fix is made I won't know until recording again.

Ok, so this is pretty unbelievable but I can't come up with any other explanation. When I said that nothing had changed since the last recording when everything was fine, there was one small change. Drummer wanted to switch snare mic from clip to a boom stand to get it out of his way a little. At band practice the other night we were all laughing as that was brought up and how crazy it would be if that was the culprit. Fast forward to tonight, completely out of options I decide why not and put it back on the clip. Voila......no problems after that. I'd heard of crazy shit like this with Pro Tools, but this was a first. Again, I changed nothing and did nothing differently than before when I got the error messages. Just a damn mic stand. Magnetic field? Who knows, but I'm relieved.

Back