Pro Tools Bounce Issue?

Unknown Child

I'm pretty sure something is going on with my setup recently. The exporting just isn't providing the same full and quality sound it once did. I'll create a nice wide stereo filling track (I use an analyzer just to make sure its nice and full), yet when I bounce it, it plays very dull and flat on both the Mac speakers and on the Monitors, even if I bring the bounced WAV back into the very same session.

I'm using Pro Tools 8. I bounce to a 24-bit, have tried 44kh, 48 and 96 Tweak Head on each and they all create the similar problem.

What could be causing it? Shouldn't my high-quality WAV be able to be compared in session with the session audio tracks and still sound almost exactly the same?

I have let a friend use my setup recently and I'm worried he might have changed a setting somewhere, if so what could he have changed?

Am I bouncing it wrong? Ahhhhh its killin me

The bounce shouldn't sound any different to the session.

Check the output path at the bounce screen. Make sure it's the same as your Master track's output.

EXACTLY! This is my I keep banging my head against the wall!

The output for master and export are both "Analog 1-2" stereo. Lets say for example I use up a lot of tracks and want to condense my hook into one WAV or AIFF file by bouncing the combined layers together as a stereo WAV and bring it back into the session. As soon as I do so and bring it back in, and compare the bounced hook solo'd, to the 5 or so tracks I used to make the bounced file, the difference is noticeable. I no longer get that WIDE stereo sound. Its so noticeable that when I A and B'd it to a friend who has no "ear for mixing" and is simply a listener, even they said it sounded more "whats the word... like mono?".

The track is visibly a stereo WAV but the quality and "surround sound" of the hook is far less apparent in the bounced file than it is in the un-exported hook layers.

WHAT THE HELL IS OING ONNNNN?????

IMHO you should never bounce to disk.
I always print my tracks into pro tools.
It does not take any longer AND you get the benefits of checking in real time that what is being printed is actually what you are hearing AND you can always reprint and consolidate a part of the song that you messed up.
Then I select the clip and go cmd + shit + K to export.

So you're bouncing a section then importing the bounce and it sounds mono?

Are you importing to a stereo track?
Are the pans set to full left and full right?

Back