Pro Tools and Partitions, whats the proper method...

fishkarma

Right

So I have a newly wiped computer with Leopard on it a hundred gig partition and a 40 gig partition.

I assumed that I would be able to put osx and PT on partition one along with other apps and that I'd use the partition for samples and plug-ins.

Well that's proved to be wrong as I can't seem to install plugins onto the partition.

Would I be better off installing PT onto the partition along with any audio stuff and samples? or does PT need to be on the Os partition to avoid problems.
Or would I simply be better adding other partitions and using them with samples one for PT and the plugs etc.?
What I would also like to know is about Instruments like Ez drummer or Superior 2 which are sample based, can the plug be installed on one partition and the related samples on another

In short whats the deal with partitions and whats the best way of optimizing them for audio?

Cheers
-Josh

Other than for your own organisation, partitions are pointless for DAWs.

There's no benefit performance wise in doing so.

What you want is a separate hard drive (physically) to record the audio to, and to play your samples from.

I wouldn't bother with partitions at all. They don't offer any performance gain to your system by running plugins off them, you are still using one single drive for your recording software and plugins, just two partitions.

But will the partitions "slow down" performance at all?

I have a 1.4ghz 2g ram puter with an external firewire drive for audio.

newly formatted my drive into 3 partitions.

4g for os, 20g for daw software, and the rest for whatever else.

any comments?

But will the partitions "slow down" performance at all?

I have a 1.4ghz 2g ram puter with an external firewire drive for audio.

newly formatted my drive into 3 partitions.

4g for os, 20g for daw software, and the rest for whatever else.

any comments?

Have you been able to install software on a non-systems partition?!

Isnt the operating system up to like 8 or 10 gigs ? and please share if you have apps on a non system partition.

Back