Pro Tools and a Delta 1010?

ProTools works only with Digidesign's hardware. ProToolsFREE works with other cards, but on Win98, with big latency, only 8 channels.... etc.

thanks for the info. that was the confusion with the pro tools free thing. didnt get it.
anyway, right now im running sonar 2 xl with 2 delta 1010's so i can record more than 8 "inputs" at a time. if i go the digi/pro tools route, im guessing that im going to have to double up with the sound cards again for more inputs.
is this correct?

spacedye said:
thanks for the info. that was the confusion with the pro tools free thing. didnt get it.
anyway, right now im running sonar 2 xl with 2 delta 1010's so i can record more than 8 "inputs" at a time. if i go the digi/pro tools route, im guessing that im going to have to double up with the sound cards again for more inputs.
is this correct?

The lower priced Digi stuff doesn't have more than 8 inputs as far as I know.

I'm curious. why would want to ditch your setup in favor of Digi's low end products?
Then you would also have to pay double or more for plugins. Digi is way overpriced.

why would want to ditch your setup in favor of Digi's low end products?

i think i like the pro tools system better than sonar. the problem is, according to this latest news to me, that pro tools only works with digidesign hardware.
i was thinking of the digi 001 and pro tools, since they have to work together. i dont know.... any thoughts?

spacedye said:
i think i like the pro tools system better than sonar.

Well, you will be throwing out $300 worth of Sonar
and $1000 worth of 1010s to switch. You can
sell them, but you'll take a beating. Plus
you'll really want to switch over to Mac from
your PC.

What is it that you like better in ProTools?
It always looked too expensive for what it
really does over vastly less expensive
products.

ProTools will probably survive, but the consolidation
in the industry, with Sonic Foundry and Syntrillian
going away, makes me very nervous about
using any propriatary hardware.

Have you looked at N-Tracks, Nuendo and other
competitors that are open about hardware?

(This must be my day to post about Pro Tools. My 3rd or 4th thread, so far.)

Yup. PT no workie with anything but its own hardware. If I understand correctly, you can only use 1 001 at a time, too. So if you get a 001, you're stuck with what you get.

That said, you do get 8 analog i/o, 8 ADAT i/o and 2 S/PDIF. ONly 2 onboard pres, though. In order to use all that i/o you'll need a lot of extra hardware: outboard pres, 10 channels of ex$pen$ive A/D/A converters, etc.

If you are running the Windows XP OS on your PC you should be OK running PT LE. (Sorry, had to use all those two letter abbreviations.) LE is MUCH more stable now that its runs on a stable OS. The Mac vs. PC thing is much less of an issue. Plugs are still predominantly Mac, though.

If you want a different program than Sonar, check into Cubase SX. Pretty powerful program and you won't have to change your hardware. I love PT, myself, but seems like a shame to trade out existing hardware.

Take care,
Chris

OK, OK, OK....
it just seemed that Pro Tools was the industry standard and i dont really know of many studios using Sonar. plus my cousin keeps yelling in my ears to switch. but i can do the same things he can using Sonar.

ok, im sticking with sonar. no need to throw money away like that. i can think of better ways to throw away money. like diamond rings and flowers for my wife!!!:D :D :D :p

thanks everyone for the mind straightening.

Back