Pro Tools & A Td 8

SebatFrost

My band recently went into the studio to record one song. we wanted to see what kind of recording this place would give us. Anyway, we used a real drum set with mesh heads and DDrum triggers ran into a Roland Td 8 for the drums. We then recorded the stereo outputs and a midi track of the performance (in case we needed to remix the drum sounds)
anyway, when we were mixing we were not able to get the midi track to retrigger the Roland Td 8. Does anyone have any ideas of what we need to do?
we are using Pro Tools 001 version 5.1 on a pc.

Welcome to the board, SebatFrost.

Did you mean you use Pro Tools to record 'em (Audio & MIDI) both at once ?

I didn't use Pro Tools, but I believe it has somekind like "Piano Roll View" in SONAR, and you can check if the MIDI was being recorded as well by Pro Tools. If it's recorded, then it's just the matter of playback issue. I believe you can fix it. If it's not, then you must check the MIDI routing to Pro Tools, and record again.

;)
Jaymz

If the midi data was recorded, you should "see" them in the midi view. So it's about to make propher connection to your drum module. You better check the cable & routing connection :)

Yeah you can see the midi track on the screen. but on playback, it simply makes the classic "midi" keyboard sound. The TD 8 appears to be triggering, but the sound is simply a keyboard sound.
Anyway, I am not the guy running the comp, I am paying someone else to do that.. and he seeemed clueless on how to get the proper sound out of the Td 8.

Tell him to set both communicate using channel 10 (drums default midi channel). It sounds like he run different channel. Hope it helps you out :)

Back