Pro Tools 8 LE Fixed Everything!

Hello, I'm interested in Protools Le 8. I know NOTHING about protools but have read a lot of pro/con stuff.

Mostly, I'll be transferring tracks from analog tape(2 synched MSR-16s) to tracks in a software program to mix. I have a lot of older tracks I want to remix ITB. I don't do that much recording anymore but still like to add tracks and mix stuff. Would a program other than Protools be better for what I like to do? And what type of hardware interface is required for Protools Le8?

Thanks.

Hello, I'm interested in Protools Le 8. I know NOTHING about protools but have read a lot of pro/con stuff.

Mostly, I'll be transferring tracks from analog tape(2 synched MSR-16s) to tracks in a software program to mix. I have a lot of older tracks I want to remix ITB. I don't do that much recording anymore but still like to add tracks and mix stuff. Would a program other than Protools be better for what I like to do? And what type of hardware interface is required for Protools Le8?

Thanks.

PT 8 can easily do what you want, but then again so can just about any DAW software. These days the competition is mostly about features like plug-in support, delay compensation, etc. Also, with Pro Tools you are limited in your choices of Audio Interface to either Digidesign hardware or newer M-Audio Hardware (for PT 8 M-Powered, close to LE in features). If you went with SONAR or Reaper or Cubase you would be able to use the interface of your choice.

I use PT because I like it. I recommend getting some demos and going to town, then buying the one you are most comfortable using.

Thanks.

Pro Tools would be just fine for what you intend to do. Once you learn most of the basic functions, editing and mixing becomes a breeze. Before pouncing on Pro-tools, maybe weigh some other options. Almost any modern DAW software should be capable of what you want to do. A lot of times it comes down to how you like to do it and what makes you feel comfortable. So figure out what you want before you jump on anything. But hey, dont get me wrong, Pro-Tools is alright with me! It just bears mentioning that many others do it well.

For your analog transfers, sounds like you may be talking about a lot of tracks at a time. So regarding an interface you would have to go with a digi 003. I dont think any of the mbox's are capable of hosting that many inputs.

The 003 has 8 inputs on the hardware plus adat ins for I believe a total of 16. If I'm not mistaken, you will only get 16 simultaneous inputs max using a protools Le system (and the 003 with adat in's would be how).

PT 8 can easily do what you want, but then again so can just about any DAW software. These days the competition is mostly about features like plug-in support, delay compensation, etc. Also, with Pro Tools you are limited in your choices of Audio Interface to either Digidesign hardware or newer M-Audio Hardware (for PT 8 M-Powered, close to LE in features). If you went with SONAR or Reaper or Cubase you would be able to use the interface of your choice.

I use PT because I like it. I recommend getting some demos and going to town, then buying the one you are most comfortable using.

Beat me to it! +1

Does Pro-Tools 8 still only have bounce to disk in real time?

Whats your opinions on the new virtual instruments and effect plugs?

Does Pro-Tools 8 still only have bounce to disk in real time?
Yes, but I will attest to it's necessity (it gives you time to reflect and listen without being able to change anything: which often leads to several notes in a notepad and an "Esc" key before the song is over!)

Whats your opinions on the new virtual instruments and effect plugs?
Haven't had a chance to mess with 'em, but I definitely will be!

sonnylarsen wrote:
PT 8 can easily do what you want, but then again so can just about any DAW software.

Hello sonny, I figured that, but my real concern was using Digi dedicated hardware. I ran across PTLe8 on ebay, and had never heard of it. The real reason I was interested was the price, which astonished me for being a PT product. It was real cheap

Also, with Pro Tools you are limited in your choices of Audio Interface to either Digidesign hardware or newer M-Audio Hardware
I always knew PT required Digi hardware but wasn't sure with PT8Le. I did a search on the web but couldn't find anything regarding hardware requirements. I've done an extensive search on the Maudio stuff, but there were so many negatives I kinda passed on that. Now that I know this program requires Digi stuff, I think I'll pass.

Heres the bottom line for me. I started this hobby in the 80's, and because of the cost of hi-end analog equipment, my studio sorta evolved over time, but always towards analog. It took a long time to get what I have..which is based on twin Tascam MSR-16's, synched via Midizer, and run through a Tascam M3700 mixer to Tascam 42b /Ampex 440b mixdown 2 trk machines
Over the years I invested in analog, never quite getting to the digital audio stuf because of ...well, you know. All the OTHER stuff it takes to build a studio...including the STUDIO itself:rolleyes:
I do have two good computers in the studio, and finally ready to integrate some digital into the chain. However, this is a hobby, and at this point I don't have the inclination nor the resources to invest in hi end digital. Back in 2003 or so I did purchase a Lexicon Core 32 system(which I still have) but never got around to using. Over time, I discovered it was filled with problems and by the time I was ready to use it...well, it was obsolete.:rolleyes::D
So by now, I've decided to get something cheap, something easy to use, and something that will fill my needs for HOBBY use. All I want to do is transfer tracks to experiment with ITB mixing...for what its worth, and mix to ....hmmmm...CD? and dump to some kind of MP3 files or something for my friends who have contributed tracks over the years.

Maybe I don't need an interface to dump all tracks at once(Maximum of 26). The midizer can synch with the computers, so, can't I transfer say 4-8 tracks at a time with a cheaper interface? Maybe some kind of multiple cards with 4 or 8 inputs...or...via...geezus...maybe through my TMD1000 via TDIF/SPIDF AES?ABU or any of that digital stuff on the back of the TMD???:confused: As you can probably tell....my digital knowlege sucks:D

Anyway, thats what I'm trying to do. Any hardware/software suggestions would be appreciated. BTW, I'm an ebay seller/buyer so I'm always looking for bargains. If you think thats worth purchasing this stuff on ebay, let me know.

Thanks a mill for all the input guys.

Oh, btw, I do have midi interfaces etc, and am interested in virtual instrument software such as Giga or other stuff. Thats the other point for ITB. Adding other instruments via midi ...or...what ever new technology is out there now. Ha!

fitZ

Yes, but I will attest to it's necessity (it gives you time to reflect and listen without being able to change anything: which often leads to several notes in a notepad and an "Esc" key before the song is over!)

I guess the glass is half full for you.

Sorry about Reason. Can't pro-tools just reason with us.

That's the first bad things I've heard .. but I dont like reason anyway..

Anyways,I'm much closer to getting the upgrade. :)

I guess the glass is half full for you.

Sorry about Reason. Can't pro-tools just reason with us.

That's the first bad things I've heard .. but I dont like reason anyway..

Anyways,I'm much closer to getting the upgrade. :)

Ah hell, your post made me realize my "it's" vs. "its" grammar mistake. Nuts!

First snag hit: Pro Tools can't find Reason Adapted :/

Pretty big snag Steve, if you ask me. I've been following this thread as a lurker. I work in Reason and Sampletank, both are very important to me, over say increased track count, but I wish I could have it all. Please post if you find a cure, or if was just a snafu.

deejay,

I just upgraded to 8.0.

I get the 100% even when running other things so it's not something particularly new for me but yes, I do.

Everyone is boasting how much smoother it runs on their computer. I wish I could say the same. Pro tools 8 is actually a lot less responsive for me. I'm trying to optimize my system as we speak. Any suggestions for me?

The virtual instruments are pretty sweet. I especially like boom right now.

Eric

Pretty big snag Steve, if you ask me. I've been following this thread as a lurker. I work in Reason and Sampletank, both are very important to me, over say increased track count, but I wish I could have it all. Please post if you find a cure, or if was just a snafu.

I believe I read somewhere that you have to update reason to a version that is compatible with LE8.0..... I've never had any reason to update reason from 2.5 or whatever it is that I have and now I can't use it at all with LE8.0.

Back