Pro Tools 8.0: Possibly the greatest

deejaytrixx

I am convinced after 3 weeks of recording, this is the BEST pro tools ever built.
At home, I am currently using Windows XP Pro (yes no mac) with 3 gigs ram installed..If you want to know about chipset and video driver info PM me..but the system is tweaked of course, for best performance. And Pro-Tools 8.0 with Waves Mercury Bundle, in conjunction with Mbox1, 2 and Digi 003.

This thing is smooooooooth. I mean, I am using more plug-ins than ever before with no "Buffer" problems whatsoever. The screen refresh rate does get a little slow, but there is little degradation to the actual sound quality or playback.

As far as the new display....yup..cool..Definitely easier to work with for many many hours, and the new color coding options not being an Easter Egg in the programming is a definite plus when working on this thing for damn near a day.

The 5 more inserts is a God sent..I don't know how many times I've cursed Digidesign for thinking that a vocal or instrument may only need to go through five different inserts before it sounds right. But someone finally wised up.

As far as the new production tool kits..I dunno..A little hard for me to accept Pro Tools as my main composition program..But I gave it a try. The instruments ain't that bad at all. I mean, you would of course have to spend inordinate amount of time customizing your sound banks..but that's what we all love to do...right? But they definitely beefed up the MIDI..they haven't improved it in anyway over say, reason or logic..but at least they finally got up to speed. The notation software, is pretty basic, and a lot of crap that just uses more DSP than its worth to me..but just my opinion.

As far as taxing your system...something is definitely screwy with it. It shows in the program that on average in (a big mix), its using about 60% or so..But in my system processes, it always shows that I am 100% taxed. Either way, I don't care..it runs smooth, and a lot better than any of the other versions. The did some tinkering with the engine, and it went from a V4 to a V8. Maybe I have spyware on my PT comp...but I doubt it.

The only downfall is there is a LOT more audible latency when recording if you don't bump down your DAE buffer..

But I'm impressed...its a getter and a keeper.

I hope it's the best protools yet.. it's the newest! (of course that aint always the case)

All of this good talk about pro-tools 8 is begging me to upgrade. I want to. I think i want to upgrade and buy kontakt 3 along with it but that's another thread. I'm just afraid that I'll end up having to buy a new computer to keep up with the processing. MONEY MONEY MONEY!

Good luck and have fun with it deejay, Eric:)

I hope it's the best protools yet.. it's the newest! (of course that aint always the case)

All of this good talk about pro-tools 8 is begging me to upgrade. I want to. I think i want to upgrade and buy kontakt 3 along with it but that's another thread. I'm just afraid that I'll end up having to buy a new computer to keep up with the processing. MONEY MONEY MONEY!

Good luck and have fun with it deejay, Eric:)

That's the thing..If you were already running PT, this one seems to use less DSP than any other version..

And yeah, the latest verison isn't always the best..I had problems from 6.9 all the way until 7.4..then a couple months later 8.0 is here.

Back