Pro Tools 7.4 freezes when closing session files

VTBob

I originally posted this in the Newbie Threads section (woops!), so I am posting it again here, where it belongs.

I recently started having trouble with Pro Tools LE 7.4 after it has worked beautifully for me for about 6 years now. I have a dual processor mac G5, and use OS 10.4.11 (old I know - but it all has worked so well, I didn't want to change!). So...PT loads as always, and I can edit and record etc. any given session the same as always, but when I try to save changes it takes a much longer time (but it does save eventually), but then after I save, when I try to close out of a session/file, PT locks up - ball spins forever, and I have to force quit to get out of PT.

The onset of this problem did start the other day when I added updates of Toast 8 and Quicktime. Not sure if that triggered something or not.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks! - Bob from VT

Hey Bob.
I know PT uses quicktime components for video and maybe other stuff.
I guess you could make sure QT is bang up to date or remove it all together just to test.

I usually run PT prefs trasher at first sign of any trouble.
Can't find it to give you the link (Strange), but if you want it I could stick it on my server for you.

Thanks for the reply!

I actually had just updated QT through the update function on my studio mac the day this happened, and I wondered if there had been a connection with that and the problem starting.

And thanks for the offer to share PT prefs trasher. What does it do? Look for incompatibilities with PT?

ProTools, like any other program, saves regularly used info to save time.
Stuff like interface I/O info, recently used sessions, etc.

Only yesterday I had a massive failure where my interface would lock up and show solid red clipping output.
Ran the trasher and somehow it sorted the fault.

I never understand PTs faults. :eek:

Thanks for the info. Just read a bit about trashing prefs. Sounds like a good thing to do first. Is the prefs trasher program specific to system version? I still use tiger (10.4.11). I looked quickly at the avid site but couldn't find a download for it. Read somewhere that they call it the "tech support folder".

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I couldn't find the preferences trasher program, so I did it manually - there's a great little youtube video that shows how, even though it's for a later system version (10.6). The first time I went through the process just on my main HD and it didn't help, so I went back and did it again on the startup HD, but this time also trashing the Didgidesign Databases folder in my dedicated audio drive as well (AudioDrive/Library/Application Support/Digidesign Databases), and that seems to have been the key. Now it saves, closes and quits super fast. Whew!! So again...THANK YOU!!!

Yup, it sure is wonderful when things work out!! This is another great demonstration of why forums like this are so great - folks can really help each other! I guess the biggest specific thing to point out, if others have similar crashing problems with PT LE, is that when you go through the trashing the prefs process in the main hard drive, as is explained so well in several places, remember to also trash the Digidesign Database folder in your dedicated Audio hard drive as well (being careful not to trash any audio folders!). Then empty trash, repair permissions, restart the computer etc. My PT is working more efficiently now all the way around. Think I'll just do this on a semi regular basis to keep it clean. Thanks again for your help!!

Back