Pro Tools 6.4 crashing when attempting to record…HELP!

BGT

The Problem:
First of all, when I launch the pro tools application, three plug-in's are no longer available; I click on the "quit" option when it asks if I want to authorize them.(vocAlign, DV tool kit & Digitranslator)-(no problem, I'll authorize them later)

I created two new sessions; one using a 16 bit template and another from scratch. Everything looks great and seems to be ok up to that point.
I plugged in an AKG C1000 microphone, armed the track and could see and hear good signal; I click the record button, everything’s still ok; the error wheel or "spinning circle of death" pops up and turns for a few seconds as soon as I click play to begin recording.

The Pro tools application disappears and I read: "The application Pro Tools 6.4 has unexpectedly quit. The system and other applications have not been affected".

Things I’ve done:
A.) Checked cables and connections.
B.) Performed DigiTest (passed)

Computer:
Machine model: Power Mac G4
CPU type: Power Mac G4 (2.1)
Number of CPUs: 1
CPU speed: 733MHz
L2 Cache: 256KB
Memory: 1.5GB
Bus speed: 133MHz
Boot ROM version: 4.25f1

Connected to Digi 001

Background:
I just purchased this system off of ebay so this is my first attempt at using it. It was shipped from Chicago to Quincy, FL. I’ve spoken with the previous owner and described what was happening; his response was he has had no problems with it and it worked great for him. It was a factory bought system that he’s used for years and it never crashed on him… needless to say he couldn’t shed any light on the problem. (His ebay rating is excellent so I’m leaning toward believing him)

I appreciate whatever help comes… Thanks!

Well, There are a few 'go to thing' to clear up when this happens.

Temporarily remove the unauthorised plugins from the plugins folder.
Open PT to make sure you got them all.

Once they're out of the picture, download and use this tool to clear the preferences.
http://web.mac.com/jcdeshaies/appli...les/ProTools Pref and Database Helper 2.3.dmg

It's only tested with v7-v9 of protools, so if it doesn't work, clear the preferences manually.
Google will give you a list of these.

Might also be worth doing a permissions repair on your mac. go to Utilities/Disk Utility and run 'repair permissions' on your system drive.

Reboot and see if you've fixed it :)

If not, come back and we'll take it from there.

Will Do! I'll reply with results... I don't have the computer on-line yet but I'll work something out.
Thanks for the quick response!

no sweat. hope it helps.

Many DUC users have said trashing preferences should just be built into the Pro tools menus.

It's needed so often.

Back