Pro Tools 002 Question...

AumStudioBrian

I am currently using a 002 Interface... My question is can I run 2 of these things at once? I'd like to get more than 8 inputs going. Anyone with experience in this? Problems since its going to a PC?

Never tried it, but it should be fine. You can either go ADAT out into the other 002 or if you have two firewire ports on the PC...then go that route. :cool:

AumStudioBrian said:
I am currently using a 002 Interface... My question is can I run 2 of these things at once? I'd like to get more than 8 inputs going. Anyone with experience in this? Problems since its going to a PC?

If you only want more than 8 inputs, just buy an additional pre-amps with ADAT I/O, it will be a lot cheaper!

The cheapest solution is the Behringer ADA8000, that is only around 300 and has good preamps. If you have money for more quality, check the ocopre of Focusrite.

BrettB said:
If you only want more than 8 inputs, just buy an additional pre-amps with ADAT I/O, it will be a lot cheaper!

That sounds like a great idea, but does the 002 rack even have an ADAT input? I know the HD interfaces do, but I don't remember the 002 having any. I know it has optical, S/PDIF, and MIDI, but I'm not seeing ADAT. Unless I'm not understanding what you're telling me. Maybe explain a little more in detail how to hook this up. Thanks--

yep, sure does. Take a look at the pic...right next to the MIDI outs. It says optical. and brett's route probably is cheaper so look into that. There's also the Alesis Ai3, but those are all 8 line in...so you'll still need a preamp if you want mics. But it's about $400

Attachments

• digi002rack_big.jpg
    digi002rack_big.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 191
Ahhh! I forgot that ADAT and OPTICAL are the same thing. Does Optical have good quality? I'd hate to sacrafice the quality of the signal coming in. Anyone? If I don't hear about this, I'll probably post aboout it in another thread.

That's exactly the set up I've been recommended by a studio retailer.

I'm getting a Digi 002 rack, an awesome studio PC (all nicely configured for Pro Tools) , a Behringer ADA8000, two SP B1s, some mic stands and a rack unit all for £2,000. Can't say fairer than that.

I'm also getting a 10 metre multicore so I can use another oom in my house as a live room.

I'm so excited. :)

AumStudioBrian said:
Ahhh! I forgot that ADAT and OPTICAL are the same thing. Does Optical have good quality? I'd hate to sacrafice the quality of the signal coming in. Anyone? If I don't hear about this, I'll probably post aboout it in another thread.

Yeah, it's all digital. Quality will be the exact same as your A/D converters can make it. So if you have a great A/D converter, then it will remain the same all the way to the computer.

Protein...let me know how the Behringer sounds with your stuff. I'd be interested in getting it to add extra mic inputs too, but I'm a little iffy about buying Behringer stuff 'cause I've heard such bad things about them. :cool:

No problem. It won't be for a month or so. I probably won't be able to give an accurate report straight away because I'll be getting to know the equipment.

Hopefully there will be a Protools forum by then.

*hint hint

We could all ask nicely in the "Visitor's Forum". There's already a thread there. Maybe if all the people who have/are going to get/are interested in Protools post in there, we'll have a good case.

I don't know...there seems to be a lot of anti-pro tools people here at the same time. Of course, this doesn't mean that we shouldn't be denied the forum...but I'm not sure the ratio of ProTools-likers vs. protools-haters. I've always wondered why there wasn't one on here though. But, point me to the petition for one and I'll sign it.
PS. what CPU are you guys using with your Pro Tools systems. i'm looking into getting a new computer and have been looking at the Athlon 64s...but the digi site says it's a known incompatibility. However, I also saw somewhere else that a Digi-approved computer with the 64 worked fine with the hardware. I'd like to get the 64, but don't want to screw myself when I find out it doesn't work with the 002.

I'm getting one made by Digital Village specifically for music production. I guess that would only help if you're in Europe though.

no, i don't. think i should move there just to get the computer?? i'll do it!! you just watch me!!! lol
do you know what they're making it with though? I'm so torn now between processors. i talked to another guy today who swore by P4s. Said he even traded in his G5 for it because of problems he was having with it and doesn't have with the P4. grrrr :mad:

These are the specs. They don't mean much to me though. lol.

Motherboard 1 x AGP Pro / 6 x PCI Slots / 6 x USB 2 Ports / 4 x Channel ATA-100 IDE / 2 x ATA-150 Serial / Dual DDR Ram Support Max 4Gb
Chipset Intel Springdale 865PE-L
Processor Intel Pentium 4 - 3 GHz 512 Kb Level 1 Cache [Northwood] 800 MHz FSB
Memory 1Gb PC 3200 Non-Registered DDR 400 MHz
Hard Drive Seagate Barracuda 120 Gb Serial ATA-[150] 7200 RPM Ultra Quiet IDE
Dual Format DVD-RW/8x/4x/16x CD-RW/32x/16x/32x [Write / Re-write / Read]
Graphics Card ATI Dual 64 Mb - 4x / 2x AGP Pro
Floppy Drive 1 x 3½" 1.4 Mb
1x Firewire IEEE1394 Port
6 x USB 2.0 Ports
Modem 56k V.90 Fax / Modem
Power Supply ATX Quiet 300 W
Expansion 4 x 3½" / 4 x 5¼" Drive Bays
Keyboard Wireless
Mouse Wireless Optical
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
LAN 1 x 1Gb RJ45

I know BEhringer hasn't got a great reputation, but the ADA-8000 has got some great reviews, check this one:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun....htm?session=b99954f01ab14afeea21c865a41d6bb3

I never worked with ADAT and I'm planning to buy this setup one of the following weeks (DIGI 002 rack with ther ADA 8000) Is there maybe someone here thaty has experience with this? Can I just hook it up with the optical and have 8 extra inputs/channels?

And yew, we should have a Pro Tools Forum. Despite what some say, it stays the industry standard.

Back