Pro Studio/Home Studio Hybrid

mcolling

We spent a day at a really great studio in Vancouver (The Hive) where we tracked instruments for 8 songs. Then headed back to my humble home studio in Victoria to track vocals and overdubs. We doubled most instrumental parts (except bass).

Our style is very informed by Neil Young's Trans record.

Now we're finally starting to finish off some mixes. Let me know what you think of them.

http://www.myspace.com/michaelcollinge

PS. The streams off of myspace really suck, so it is preferable to download them (they are 192 kbps mp3s), and then you can delete them right away.

Listened to Thanksgiving - great tune. The first thing I noticed was how great the drums were recorded and mixed - very nice. The rest of the instruments are well done too. That studio did a good job - can you let us know the name of the studio? Is it the one owned by Bryan Adams? You also did a good job mixing in the vocals after the fact. I have to ask though - why didn't you do the vocals at the studio - just curious. They sound good though so that's a non-issue. What mic/pre/signal chain did you use to do the vocals?

ido1957 said:
Listened to Thanksgiving - great tune. The first thing I noticed was how great the drums were recorded and mixed - very nice. The rest of the instruments are well done too. That studio did a good job - can you let us know the name of the studio? Is it the one owned by Bryan Adams? You also did a good job mixing in the vocals after the fact. I have to ask though - why didn't you do the vocals at the studio - just curious. They sound good though so that's a non-issue. What mic/pre/signal chain did you use to do the vocals?
The studio is the Hive http://www.hivestudios.net/. It is truly a great studio with top-notch gear, a good room, and some of the best engineers around. Plus, at $400 (Canadian) a day including the engineer, you save a great deal of money. Our engineer was Colin Stewart, who recently engineered Black Mountain's eponymous album-- check it out if you haven't already.

For Vocals, we used an AT 4050 through a SP VTB1 and into my Delta 1010. Everything was mixed in the box (except of course the bed tracks which were slightly compressed and limitted using outboard gear at the Hive).

We decided not to record vocals at the studio for purely financial reasons. We rented the AT 4050 for a month for $100, and now we have all the time in the world to get our performances just right. For example, a week ago we got really loaded and did performances of all our songs. It worked for some songs, but not others, so we've been redoing some of them. My opinion is that, for vocals as opposed to say drums, the performance is the most important factor, not the gear.

Back