pro sound

anti alias

If I made a song at home and recorded my vocals with a at4047 and I brought it to get it mastered and mixed at a studio, would it come out with that "top sound," even if the vocals weren't recorded on a world class pre amp?

You now need to explain what "top sound" means.

This question has way too many "it depends" factors. Is the source track sounding pretty good? Did you bood enough time to realistically have the time to mix it well? Is the studio well equipt? Does the engineer have good skills? Did YOU get in there and start making "helpful suggestions" that are not very helpful in reality? Did the engineer even give a shit about your mix?

Too many "it depends" factors. Just because the studio is "for hire" doesn't mean that the situation is condusive to the final project sounding "pro" (whatever "pro" means....). I have mixed stuff for people that have tracked at home. Some of it has been a little surprising (in a good way), but mostly, the audio usually has some problems that keep the final mix from sounding as good as it could have had it been tracked by me, or another skilled engineer.

Ed

Takes a lotta work

By "top sound" I'm going to assume you mean what is being created in LA and Nashville's most expensive studios, a la Shania Twain and N'Sync, etc... Where the vocals seem completely present and full...

The answer is probably not... I'm working to get to that same place, and it's a hard road if you don't know exactly what you're doing and if you don't have the $$$ for top sound equipment. The mic matters, the pre, the EQ and comp are critical, the acoustic environment can make or break the whole thing, expensive reverbs, the singer (majorly important factor ;) ), the list goes on...

Going to a real studio and having them mix and master it will make a major difference. You'll be using their reverbs, EQ's, comps, analog mixing, etc. Most of the formula will be there.

You can sure as hell come close!!! =)

Back