Pro Audio 9 vs Sonar

just wondering if sonar has any vast improvements over PA9. i bought PA9 a few years back and wonder if it is still relevant or not.

any users here go from PA9 to Sonar? if so, was it worth it? and why.

thanks.

PA9 to Sonar

PA9 came with my Aardvark and I upgraded to Sonar. I didn't really use PA9 much, but I thought they improved the user interface and drivers. Particularly after Sonar 2. If you upgrade to the latest version of Sonar, you should notice improvements.

PA9 was a good program, and while still functional, it is a bit dated from what is available today.

Main features of Sonar 3 over PA9 (IMHO) are:

1. DXi's (software sequencers/instruments - arguably eliminates the need for any hardware MIDI devices)

2. Slip editing (essentially allows you to accomplish almost all edits non-destructively)

3. Support for WDM and ASIO drivers (significantly lower latency)

4. Automatable plugins.

5. Universal Bus Routing (allows creation of submixes and use of multiple Mains)

6. Better user interface (not a deal breaker, but much more intuitive and easy to work with. You can pretty much do everything without leaving Track View.)

7. Record/Playback Meters in Track View.

8. Support for VST/VSTi (which I think could be used in PA9 by purchasing a VST wrapper. The wrapper is included with Sonar 3.)

There are numerous other improvements, but those are the biggies for me. I liked PA9, but couldn't imagine trying to work in it again.

1 2 & 3 sound like deal MAKERS to me. :)

i will probably upgrade then.

any idea what the higher end input devices are capable of these days? i was using an event electronics LAYLA. the 20-bit one with multiple inputs. id like to get something simple that wont limit me. having the ability to have all those inputs would be nice if i ever record live drum kits again.

I'm using a Delta 1010. 8 analog inputs/outputs. 24 bit/96kHz. I've been using it since I purchased PA9 several years ago, and don't feel the need for anything more (in fact, I currently only use it at 24 bits and 44.1kHz sample rate).

96kHz sample rates may become more of a requirement when/if DVD Audio starts to take hold. And I believe there are sound cards available today that go to 196kHz (although I don't know what you'd do with one - except eat hard disk space).

For my money, certainly make sure you get 24 bit capability at a minimum. In most cases that will come coupled with at least 96kHz sample rate. You should be fine for quite awhile with that (famous last words :) ).

dachay2tnr has pretty much summed things up. But as I went from PA9 to Sonar 3.0 Studio I'd just like to add a few things.

For me it was worth every penny. Even with european prices.

It was a VERY smooth transition. I was recording the same night I got the software - but I still learn new things about Sonar every now and then.

I don't think PA9 does VSTi's even with a wrapper.

You might want to check how far into the future Sonar 4 is. If it's round the corner maybe you should wait (but in all fairness, Cakewalk has as a rule had a free update policy for buyers close to a release date)

-=¤willhaven¤=- said:
1 2 & 3 sound like deal MAKERS to me. :)

i will probably upgrade then.

any idea what the higher end input devices are capable of these days? i was using an event electronics LAYLA. the 20-bit one with multiple inputs. id like to get something simple that wont limit me. having the ability to have all those inputs would be nice if i ever record live drum kits again.

I'd check out EMU's new line...

Back