Pro Audio 9 problem

Rockr56

Recorded a drum track to track 1, recorded guitar to track 2 while playing back track 1. Drum track recorded to track 2 with guitar, along with some awful buzzing noises. Why is drum track recording to track 2? This is my first effort with Pro Audio 9. Using an Audiophile 2496 card which is also new to me. I've used Guitar Tracks2 without this problem. When I playback both tracks the drum track sounds like crap, but when I mute track 2 it sounds fine. Could this be a soundcard issue? Help! And Thanks.

It sounds to me that your settings are wrong for your audio path.
It could be a setting for your input or something in the Delta control panel for the 2496.
Also are you running more than one sound card?
Have you optimised your computer for audio?

Nothing wrong with the soundcard. You just need to set your inputs and outputs to record only what you want to record.

another cakewalk pro audio 9 - audiophile 2496 question

Hello all,
I am new to this forum (and digital recording as a matter of fact) so please bear with me...
My problem:
When recording more than 2 or 3 tracks the next track I want to record starts clipping. E.g. i record a bass line, then a guitar line, everything sounds fine, but when I record another guitarline it is clipped... :mad: It really drives me crazy. So much that I almost to threw the whole damn lot out of the window and return to my good old tascam 424 tape deck. Ok that old work horse only had 4 tracks but at least it bass and guitar couldn't sound sweeter. The 4 tracks are very limiting though.
My original idea was to lay down guitars and bass on tape, and mixdown intot into cakewalk together with drums (boss DR5) then I'd add some keys and three vocal tracks. But bang went that idea...
advice is very much appreciated!

cheers
chris

Under Options->Audio->Advanced, there is a check box "Clip audio mix on overflow". Is it checked? I always have that option turned on...

RiveraM60 said:
Hello all,
I am new to this forum (and digital recording as a matter of fact) so please bear with me...
My problem:
When recording more than 2 or 3 tracks the next track I want to record starts clipping. E.g. i record a bass line, then a guitar line, everything sounds fine, but when I record another guitarline it is clipped... :mad: It really drives me crazy. So much that I almost to threw the whole damn lot out of the window and return to my good old tascam 424 tape deck. Ok that old work horse only had 4 tracks but at least it bass and guitar couldn't sound sweeter. The 4 tracks are very limiting though.
My original idea was to lay down guitars and bass on tape, and mixdown intot into cakewalk together with drums (boss DR5) then I'd add some keys and three vocal tracks. But bang went that idea...
advice is very much appreciated!

cheers
chris

What exactly is clipping - the newly recorded track itself, or the Master out?

When you do multitrack recording, the volume of each track is summed at the Master. Therefore, the more tracks you add, the higher the potential to cause clipping at the Master. The solution is to simply lower each of the individual track volumes (or simply lower the master fader - although I prefer to keep the Master fader at its unity setting).

OTOH, if it is the new track that is clipping, then you have me stumped. There is no reason for this to happen - except if the signal you are feeding it is too hot. That could very well happen if you are coming from a new source - say a vocal from a mic, rather than a DI Bass. If the signal is too hot, you need to back it off at the source a bit.

Rockr56 said:
Recorded a drum track to track 1, recorded guitar to track 2 while playing back track 1. Drum track recorded to track 2 with guitar, along with some awful buzzing noises. Why is drum track recording to track 2? This is my first effort with Pro Audio 9. Using an Audiophile 2496 card which is also new to me. I've used Guitar Tracks2 without this problem. When I playback both tracks the drum track sounds like crap, but when I mute track 2 it sounds fine. Could this be a soundcard issue? Help! And Thanks.

What are you using as the recording source for tracks 1 and 2 (Analog In or Monitor Mixer In)?

dachay2tnr said:

When you do multitrack recording, the volume of each track is summed at the Master. Therefore, the more tracks you add, the higher the potential to cause clipping at the Master. The solution is to simply lower each of the individual track volumes (or simply lower the master fader - although I prefer to keep the Master fader at its unity setting).

OTOH, if it is the new track that is clipping, then you have me stumped. There is no reason for this to happen - except if the signal you are feeding it is too hot. That could very well happen if you are coming from a new source - say a vocal from a mic, rather than a DI Bass. If the signal is too hot, you need to back it off at the source a bit.
it's the new one... the signal could be a bit hot though, i'm recording through my tascam 424 as a mixer and there is no compressor or limiter (yet i'm waiting for a behringer DX1200 to be delivered next week) in my signal chain, maybe the signal is too hot? could be. I think I'm going to try a combination of your two suggestions... I'll be back on this.
cheers

AGCurry said:
Under Options->Audio->Advanced, there is a check box "Clip audio mix on overflow". Is it checked? I always have that option turned on...
I'll check that... but hm.. shouldn't it be off??
:confused:

Yess

dachay2tnr said:

got it solved!! :D Like you said: turn down the volumes... that and an upgrade from 9.03 to homestudio 2002 (24bit recording) did the trick complety

thanks a lot!!

cheers

RiveraM60 said:
got it solved!! :D Like you said: turn down the volumes... that and an upgrade from 9.03 to homestudio 2002 (24bit recording) did the trick complety

thanks a lot!!

cheers

Why didn't you just upgrade to HS2004? It now supports ASIO drivers, multi-input cards and true 24/96. HS2002 only does 24/48.

brzilian said:
Why didn't you just upgrade to HS2004? It now supports ASIO drivers, multi-input cards and true 24/96. HS2002 only does 24/48.
One good reason... I got the software for free!! Hell I got good friends!! :)

Back