Pro Audio 9 File migration

Balzano

I am trying to migrate my Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 files to a new computer because the old one is about to die and I dont want to lose all my hard work. Do I just need the *.wrk files? Are there other files that I need? If I just move the *.wrk files will the different tracks all be there when I access the file on the new computer through Cakewalk Pro Audio 9?
Thanks for you help
Matt

No, you can't simply copy the .wrk files as the audio usn't part of that file. The only 100% safe way is to open the files and save them as bundles (.bun) files. A bundles includes the .wrk and all audio files and can be transported to different machines.

Yep save as bundles, & either move to an external drive or burn to CDR/DVDR.
The bundles will save the current project status you gave the piece as well as all the audio, settings etc. Don't forget to copy all of your VSTs, wrappers, passwords, serial numbers etc.
Have you used the free upgrades for 9.2 & 9.3? If you're reinstalling now'd be a good time to do so. there were available at the cakewalk site as free downloads.
I save/update a bundle to an external drive after I'cve completed a session/day with any major change such as recording an additional instrument.

My OS died before I knew to save each project as a "bun". most of these projects included recorded analog audio. I was able to salvage them however by pulling out the "wrk" files as well as the "wav" files under the WAVE FILES folder within the Cakewalk folder on the C; drive. there are image files associated to each wave file in another folder also found within the cakewalk folder. when you open the "wrk" file on a different PC an error will pop up that it can't find audio data, you must then search you PC for the exact file name and direct cakewalk to the new location of that file. once it finds everything SAVE AS "BUN".

Thanks for the feedback. I am currently saving files to bundles. This was a great help in me not losing so many years of recording.
THANKS!!!

Back