Pro Audio 9 and CD burning

Brian Ferrell

I read on an Australian Hoontech Forum that with Cakewalk, you can record at 24bit/96khz but it you want to burn a CD with material recorded at that level, you can only transpose the bit rate to 16 but can't change the sampling rate to 44.1. Is this true for Pro Audio 9.0? Does this make it impossible (or at least, very difficult) to burn a CD from that material?
Brian

Yes, exporting the file, which is the final step in the mixing process will export the file as a .wav or MP3, but will not change the bit or sampling rates. I use the Cool Edit Pro 2000 software (purchased for~$50.00) to convert the file to 16bit/44.1 when I'm ready to burn a CD. This is easily accomplished with a couple key strokes. :D

Sorry Lambo, but you are partly incorrect. Cakewalk will change the bit depth - go to Tools / Change Audio format. It will not change the sample rate (so far as I know). As I record everything at 24 bit/44.1 then convert to 16 bit / 44.1 at mastering this has not been a problem for me. I believe Sound Forge will convert sampling rate.

RWhite - I, like you, also record at 24 bit and 44.1. I don't see any obvious gain in recording at 44khz, and don't want the processor/HD overhead of going to 96khz.

Wavelab 3.0 will also convert sampling rate. Generally I export my Cakewalk project at 24 bit/44.1 to Wavelab. Then do my final edits and mastering in Wavelab and reduce when I burn to CD.

dachay2tnr said:
RWhite - I, like you, also record at 24 bit and 44.1. I don't see any obvious gain in recording at 44khz......

You mean 'obvious gain in recording at 48khz', right, dachay2tnr? :-)

When I read Lambo's first sentence, "Yes, exporting the file....", I thought he was agreeing with the first sentence in my original post. Thanks for keeping us straight, RWhite and Dachay2tnr. From what I've read about Pro Audio 9 on Cakewalk's site, you are correct about being able to change bit rates for transferral to CD. It just wasn't clear (on their site) to me whether or not it was possible to change sampling rates.
Brian

Yes I think dachay2tnr meant to say 48 instead of 44. My hardware will record at 48, which does not seem like enough difference for the hassle. It can't do 96 so thats not an issue, but it seems like a look of folks on this board whose hardware can do 96 still record at 44.1 I'm sure the file sizes are much smaller. On the other hand, I have noticed that a file recorded at 24 bit and mastered at 16 sounds a bit bit than one recorded and mastered at 16. Not sure why that is either, it seems like the extra data should be lost either way.

Back