pro advice pls.......

catfish11

i've been lurking about round here for awhile now,
taking it all in, being entertained, hopefully learning abit.
i started with a soundblaster and n-track on a 533 celeron with no outboard nothing-
now......
athlon 1800xp
512 ddr ram
geforce
nec cd burner
20'' monitor
samplitude pro 6.0/sonar 1.3
delta 66/omni

2nd puter- my 533 celeron running gigasampler
w/ the general midi library
256 ram
audiophile 24/96
15'' monitor
mics-
shure sm57
2 rode nt1
2 oktava mk012
sp c-1 (great mic gidge!)

pres-
art tube mp
dmp 2 (omni)
dfx mackie (4pres)
hhb radius 40
joe meek twinQcs
outboard-
t.c. electronic m-one
digitech rp10
RNC compressor
bbe 482 sonic maximizer
roland spd-6 drum pads(use gigadrums)
zoom 234 drum machine
roland keys for midi controller (em-10)
pod 2.0
old marshall amp
johnson mellinium amp w/ 2 12'' JBL's
plugins-
waves gold
timeworks (the works)
ultrafunk
antares mic modeler
psp vintage warmer
bbe sonic maximizer (liked it so much, i got it twice)
wave lab 3.0

precision bass
norman acoustic git
ovation acoustic git
charvel jackson electric git

monitors-
hafler m5/ TA1100
old pair of JBL century loudspeakers
monster cables thru-out
sennheiser hd600's cans
plus a couple of others

finally i'm starting to get some pretty good sounds
this sh*t ain't for the faint of heart, though

the reason i went to the trouble of posting this rather long (obnoxious) but unfinished list is that i am presently building on to our home and of course my plans magically made room (24'x24') for a small digital studio, which i sort of dream of turning into a ''real'' studio of sorts
my question is a couple really...
can a DAW only studio do pro work, perhaps i should refrase this-
have there ever been any successful "pro" releases done on a DAW to anyone's knowledge?
is my current setup ''getting there"?
what would one of you pros add
if lets say you had my "kit" and another $2500.00-$5000.00?

let me just add now that as far as i'm concerned the biggest single improvement to my sound came when i switched over from sonar to samplitude- the BIGGEST!
that being said i am still a bit wary of the whole DAW thing
i have definitely had some pretty gnarly crashes
i have thought of getting a radar,
the new digi002 looks interesting
but i spent alot and comitted alot of time to learning this puter thing
so... now i 'm pretty sure what i'm going to do is get the lynxtwo
for the higher quality (hopefully that and samplitude would rock and with the delta i would have 12 in's - 6 very high quality
then i was thinking on a good set of keys, like the yammy motif or the roland fantom, the soft synth giga thing just don't cut it to my way of reckoning, anymore
then i was thinking on a set of digital drums, pin tech or roland
i have heard that these are getting pretty damn good, and i could run them direct (good sounding drums for me are the hardest, i have been getting by with midi but... )
that would pretty much tap me out, for now
down the road a top quality vocal mic and pre
maybe i could get away with the rnmp (if it ever shows, i've heard fletcher say some pretty good things about it) and an rodes ntk
or something like....
at any rate i have learned oddles round here, seeing how i am not a very good typist, this was rather painful for me but i would love some feedback,

o, and maybe one of them fancy dsp cards t.c. powercore or the UAD-1

by the way i know there are alot of issues w/ mixing in the digital domain, however it seems to me and a few others that samplitude probably has one of the best mixing busses
let's put it this way-
it sounds the same after i bounce down as before i bounced,
not so w/ sonar, as a matter of fact as much as i liked the ease of use w/ sonar and as complicated as samplitude is (and need not be) sonar sounds from beginning to end like sh*t compared
to samplitude and believe me i OWN both and have compared them add nausem

i appreciate any insight thanks, "the fish" :-)

howdy - newbie here, but i've definitely heard a few (great) records done on DAWs. Beck's midnight vultures was done (i think) on a G4 - maybe not a G4 but definitely a DAW of some sort. Maybe not the biggest selling record, but a great one nonetheless. Also, although not an official record, some thing called "dont let it out" - the Noel Gallagher demos for Standing on The Shoulders of Giants -- a bootleg for certain, but it was an entire album (and better than the official release...) done by gallagher on a G4 as well. it really is a great sounding record - and gallagher's always been kind of a stickler for production...this non-release stands up as one of the coolest DAW productions in my book. i'm pretty sure lenny kravitz has dabbled in DAW work quite a bit too.... good luck in yer endeavors....

What you are really missing from your setup is some world class pre's and compressors. You can get some pretty tight sounds on a DAW if you have some good stuff going in.

Some API's and a Distressor can make $3000 go a long way in improving your sound. You should also check out the GreatRiver for a great deal on a stereo pre.

TexRoadkill said:
What you are really missing from your setup is some world class pre's and compressors. You can get some pretty tight sounds on a DAW if you have some good stuff going in.

Some API's and a Distressor can make $3000 go a long way in improving your sound. You should also check out the GreatRiver for a great deal on a stereo pre.
I was going to suggest the same thing....

Maybe add some EL-8 Distressors, Avalon 737's, and a Manley piece (maybe a Manley Slam).

Of course, adding all of these pieces will put you over your budget. :(

Unless I'm missing something, you have 9 preamp channels and 5 mics, and 2 of those mics are the much maligned NT1s. Just wondering how you ended up with this combo...

thanks for the input
charger,
its one of those buy cheap buy twice
at any rate i use my hhb as a front end into the pod or my johnson it does wonders so it is kind of an instrument pre
also for vocals
the meek, vocals, guitars (acoustic and electric)
also i use the compressor for keys and the whole mix
i figure a few different flavors makes it more interesting.

Back