Priorities? I need some advice.

Rhoadz

hey.

my trek around the country visiting strange and exotic couches of long forgotton relatives is coming to an end so it's time to build a new studio.

I just got house and i want the studio in the basement. (i know the water question keeps me up at night, but it drains well and my gear will be elevated with wires running overhead)

the problem is this. I do everything on 1 computer. so i'll have to mix in a big open room with concrete floors and block walls. I have 1 alternative. There is 10x12 foot paneled office built into the other side of the basement. with my budget i could scrape together 2 computers and record on 1 and mix on the other.

where should my basic priorites be. Trying to mix in a familiar space but settle for 2 useable computers OR go with 1 really nice PC set up and learn to mix in a concrete bunker?

or third...am i making too big a deal out of this

thanks guys

mike

So you have the luxury of a whole basement...
Okay, I always learned that having one good thing is preferably to having two reasonable things. In other words: I'd go for the big-buck-computer with some really nice software and a decent sound-card, and if you got some buck left some nice studio monitors. (If you don't have them already, of course). Also check out the topics on soundproofing (im-proofing, that is). Maybe you can build some drywall-rockwool walls or something. And heck, with a few carpets, some candles and a lazy couch even a concrete basement turns into a cozy place!
BUT, this is all my opinion. Be sure to place some pics when you finished your bunker!
Good luck,
Dirk Demon

Back