Printing effects to tape?

Mulevaline

I have a Tascam M-216 mixer and am recording to ADAT. How do I print effects to tape
prior to mixdown? I am new to this mixer and need details of the effects processor routing.

The effects returns on the M-200 series mixers patch into the stereo buss, but not the four main program busses, so the only way to print effects is to connect the outputs of your effects processor into two regular channel inputs; for example, channels 15 and 16. When doing so make sure the effects sends on those two channels are all the way down so you don’t create a feedback loop.

Or you can do what I did with my M-216… take it apart and wire mini toggle switches for each program buss so you can switch the effects returns into those rather than the stereo buss. It may or may not be worth the trouble for you depending on how many channels you have to spare. I just hated to see the effects returns go to waste.

The advantage of using regular channel inputs is you’ll be able to tweak the EQ of the effects using the board’s EQ, and use sliders rather than fumble with rotary knobs to adjust stereo effect return levels on the fly. So you may be better off not doing the mod I did.

So the effects send goes into input of your effects device (Usually one input is marked "Mono" if it has stereo inputs... or either input will work. Check you manual). Then use two cables to bring the effect processor outputs into two inputs of the M-216... and you're done! You'll use the program buss buttons (1-2 and 3-4 plus pan controls) on each channel to route the processor signal to the desired ADAT tracks.

You could apply the effect via the channel insert using the wet/dry on the effects unit to apply the correct amount of effect. Will only give you a mono effect and not ideal but it will work. If you wanted to do the same kind of thing and get stereo effects, sent the signal to the effects unit via the channel effects send, return the stereo returns fro the effects unit to 2 channels of the console, take the direct outs of those channels and record them to 2 tracks, again using the wet/dry of the effects unit to get the correct amount of effect.

Allan.

Back