Priceless band stories....

sushi-mon

I remembered the other day, I was playing in this band at an older guy's house 16 years ago. I was the drummer. It was a single family home, so we ended up playing pretty late. One night...well morning...it was like 2am and we were jamming out and recording a live album. At the end of a song, we heard a loud banging on the door. A neighbor yelled and asked us to keep it down for a little while.

We stopped. But, being high as hell, we were like..."Dude, he actually must have liked it, he only asked us to stop for a 'little' while." In a dope influenced euphoria, we felt like our musical prowess had become validated in a small but large way... :cool:

About 20 years ago, we were playing an outdoor venue. Our soundguy brought a bunch of gear.........except, he forgot the mains. :eek:

I jumped into my mom's station wagon and flew to his house to get them....about 30 miles away. I made it back with about 20 minutes to spare. :(

A couple years ago we were booked for the local Arbor Day Festival. Our drummer knows the sound guy the city uses for events like these.

During the sound check the sound guy jokingly says "be careful what you say in front of an open mic". To which our diva singer responds, "yeah you wouldn't want to make the same mistake John Kerry did and call those Republicans a bunch of liars and cheats - even though it's probably true."

We do a wonderful job that day and the sound guy says we're on the way to being in the Concerts in the Park events. These are city-sponsored events held in the local parks in SoCal and include both national and local acts. The drummer and I have long wanted that gig.

Well, a couple days later we get a call from the sound guy. It turns out that editors of the two local papers were at the Arbor Day Festival in this mostly conservative enclave and did not take kindly to our singer's remarks. The poor sound guy also got calls from the Mayor and City Attorney - all insinuating that if he wanted the city to hire him for any more public events like these, he should keep us off his stage.

So, we WON'T be playing any of the Concerts in the Park as long as our big-mouthed singer is in the band.

PS. The band broke up late last year a few months after the singer quit.

- the end

We used to practice in this old warehouse slated to be demolished for a new YMCA in Ann Arbor MI. It was an awesome place, you could do pretty much whatever you wanted in there, anytime of the day. We'd call each other after partying at like 3am wasted and meet up there with our instruments and jam until we sobered up or passed out. There was a railroad bridge next to the building, so a lot of times we'd stroll out wasted after jamming all night and watch the sun come up. There was an awesome 24hr diner around the corner we'd hit up in the mornings too. The best part was the coolest music club in town (the Blind Pig) was a block away, so whether we were playing shows there or watching fellow local bands, we didn't have to go far. Anyway, it was pretty much the best time of my (young) life. We all promised each other we'd take some time off before becoming doctors or engineers or whatever it is we were studying to become and really give the band a shot full time. It never worked out that way.
Anyway, at the end of the summer before I graduated from college, they finally kicked everyone out of the building to demolish it. Well a few days after we got our stuff out, either someone torched the place or there was some sort of electrical fire and the whole place went up in a huge fire. One of the biggest in Ann Arbor ever. We all went back and stood on the railroad bridge and watched the building burn to the ground and go out like a rock star. I still have a brick from the building somewhere.

We had just finished a late night recording session in Berkeley, I don't remember the time, but midnightish, and left the studio (in a slightly altered state) to head home. Not knowing the way to the freeway, I made some wrong turns, and ended up in a bad part of Oakland. I had just got my bearings and was pointed in the right direction with the freeway in sight when, while stopped at a light behind a Caddie full of brothers, my freaking horn shorted out! The brothers in the Caddie turned around and looked at us with that "your about to die" look. I'm pounding on the steering wheel, my bandmates are like "were gonna die", and the doors on the Caddie fly open. I threw the car in reverse, punched it, threw it in drive, punched it again, flew past the Caddie waiting for the muzzle flashes, and didn't slow down till half way across the bay bridge and certain we weren't being followed. We were laughing hysterically, the kind of laughing you do when you've just had a near death experience. Needless to say, I made sure I knew the way for the next session.

-RD

I got a couple, one sadly you kinda had to be there.

Years ago, we were asked to open for a band called I Mother Earth, before they hit it big ( big for Canada ) it was at a large strip club. We were all well under 19, but greased some wheels, etc. and were allowed in.

From the moment we hit the stage, it was a comedy of errors. I mean we were nervous, but that wasn't the worst of it.

During the first chorus, the drummers stool broke, fell flat on his ass, he managed to keep some symbalince of rythem, but we were pretty lost, 20 seconds later, the keyboard player, bangin away, not noticed that his keyboard was moving a little to the left every time, then boom, keyboard, stand and all fell off the stage.

We all stared, but I was always told, the show must go on! so I kept singing, went for a note that only that guy from the Darkness can hit, and failed miserably,

embarrased, distraught, humiliated, we didn't attempt the second song. We laugh our asses off about it now, but at the time, hell for a couple years later, we figured it was a sign to give up before it really got bad.

The second, we where having band practice one day, next door was rented out to a couple older guys of the couple cases a weekend varity. Nice enough guys though.

The come over, and one guy says, hey my friend is an awesome singer.. oh ya, I reply. He asks, do you know any Ozzy? ummmm I think I can play Crazy Train I say... Kick ass he replies, I love CRAZY train...

I start, he steps up to the mic, and yells.. LAAAZZYYYY we couldn't contain our laughter, and couldn't continue. ya, you kinda had to be there, but I'll be 90 ( if I'm lucky ) and will still laugh at that.

Last year:

I had this recording gig at a mansion converted studio in the castleberry area. Had a pimp pool...whatever.

Anyway, the guys scheduled to come in that day brought thier kids. And of course, kids love pools.

So while we are in the middle of laying down some drum stuff, dude man looks out the window and see's his kid drowning in the pool (oh yeh, I forgot to mention his kid couldn't swim).

So he flips the *%$#$ out and starts taking off his clothes to jump in. Except he remember he had an 8ball of mystical white power in his pocket.

So he's like "FUCK, I can't just leave this hanging out of my pockets".

The guy decides to snort half an 8ball before jumping in to save his struggling kid.

The kid was fine. As for the dad, well...I hope the kid finds good foster parents.

My first gig was in a gym...I'm sure some of you know how that sounds.Anyway, a few strange things happened.

A cymbal just fell over in the middle of a quite tune.

I had a friend in the audience I'll call "Smith". He was doing Quaaludes for the first time. I was singing for that particular band and announced the members of the band,"Bill V on drums, Bob M on guitar...." before I annunced myself, I said "Mark Smith on Quaaludes" and the audience cheered...then I said " Im J.p. on vocals" and people were saying back "You just said you were Mark Smith..." (duh)

then I was doing my Rodger Daultrey swinging the mic (quickly) thing, and my overly-energetic guitar player is running around and slams into my shoulder...the mic (sm58) pops me in the head HARD!! I tried to play it off and not rub it, but it really hurt LOL.

Finally I am singing and this drunk dude come up and starts singing in the mic with me...fine, no problem. I put an arm around him and we sang a few lines together. then he goes back to the drummer and starts singing with the drummer in the drummer's mic...drummer lets this happen for about 10 seconds then drops the sticks and sucker's this guy...they had to be seperated by people in the audience.

That was my first gig...

J.P.

It was my first gig with the band when I was in Hawaii. We made it almost through the first set with no problems. During the last song of the set I was standing on the drum riser (about 4 feet off the ground) on the snare side of the drummer and was jamming with the drummer. I turned to jump off the riser and my guitar hit a cymbal stand... which fell over into another cymbal stand... which fell over into another cymbal stand... and ALL THE WAY AROUND THE SET until he had no cymbal stands left standing!

Pissed me off... knocked my guitar out of tune...

;) :)

was doin an outdoor gig once. we were set up kinda weird in the effect that the stage was on one side of the road, and the audience was on the other. it was actually kinda cool, minus the road. kinda felt like an ampitheatre. anyway, about half way through the first song, a kid comes flying down the hill on his bike toward the road and got met by a truck going about 40mph right in front of my face. strangest thing i ever seen. we got it all on video. lol the kid was ok, but i got a call from the lawyer of the kid a few months later, wanting me to testify against the truck driver. yeah right! everyone is the victim. lol kid should not have riden his bike out on the road....

When I was 15 playing guitar in my first band we got invited at the very last momment to play at a grade 8 elementry school graduation dance... Well this was the big time for us so even though it was very last momment we all got our equipment together and headed over there. We got all our equipment set up did our sound check and were ready to rock. Right as we were about to begin our first set, all the grads walked into the gym in their suits and dresses pulled up chairs and stared at us very unenthousiastically. Well, this didn't give us much confidence but we started to play. About half way through our third song, one of the kids from the class thought it would be funny to screw around with the volume on our singers mic. By the fourth song he had turned it completely off. Being the oldest in the band, (15) I went to talk to the prick to see what his problem was. I told him we didn't come all the way to his school at the last momment to play 3 songs, and that we planned to play another set. I can't remeber what he said back to me but I ended up punching him in the face. This probably wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done because he ended up getting the entire graduating class after my band. We loaded up all the equipment in the van as fast as possible, but there was no room for us left in it. The teachers started to notice something was up and cancelled the rest of the graduation dance. This didn't make the class very happy. Our ride gone, our only option was to run home, in hot pursuit of 10 angry guys. One of my good friends, our roady for the day didn't really feel like running. So he took his time walking home. The angry mob caught up to him and circled him. He looked as crazy as he could, punched the biggest one of them, and fortunately that scared them enough to back off. All in all it was quite an adventure.

P.S. I woke up the next morning with the windows of the van broken in... :(

LeeRosario said:
Last year:

I had this recording gig at a mansion converted studio in the castleberry area. Had a pimp pool...whatever.

Anyway, the guys scheduled to come in that day brought thier kids. And of course, kids love pools.

So while we are in the middle of laying down some drum stuff, dude man looks out the window and see's his kid drowning in the pool (oh yeh, I forgot to mention his kid couldn't swim).

So he flips the *%$#$ out and starts taking off his clothes to jump in. Except he remember he had an 8ball of mystical white power in his pocket.

So he's like "FUCK, I can't just leave this hanging out of my pockets".

The guy decides to snort half an 8ball before jumping in to save his struggling kid.

The kid was fine. As for the dad, well...I hope the kid finds good foster parents.

That's the funniest thing ever!

1987, I was in a punk band called Mental Abuse. We heard of some charity gig going on a few towns over from us so we decided to turn up unanounced and see if we can blag our way on the stage for a few songs. We were booked into a studio the next day to do a 3 track demo.

Our drummer knew the guy doing the sound so we were in and showed to a back room to leave our gear till it was time to play. We were all cranked out of our heads on drink and whatever else. Our singer spots a 24 pack slab of beer, litre of vodka & litre of whisky. Before anyone can say anything he's got it all in the back of the van.

We're back stage ready to go on and the compare dude goes up to the mic and says something about a raffle....... yeah...our singer had the raffle prizes in our van. I dunno if it was the guilt or the nerves but we all got the heads down and played a stormer 20 minute set, tighter than we'd ever been. Never did get found out about stealing the prizes.

That night after the gig we got driven home giving the singer pelters for putting us on the spot but at the same time delighted at the drink we had. We're back at mine and the beer and vodka's all gone, everyone's in a mess. The singer wants to open the whisky and I'm arguing with him we should keep it for the studio the next day

So we're out side throwing punches at each other over the stolen whisky. He knocks me on my arse beside a parked car and tries to put the boot in me but because he's so pissed with the drink he completly misses me and cracks his shin off the bumper of the car. I have to get up and help him back inside, the whisky gets drank and we all crash out

Next day we're on the way to the studio, we're traveling light, drummer has a pair of sticks, I've got a guitar, bass player a bass and the singer a badly bruised shin

We turn up, get asked where our amps are....big argument breaks out. So the engineer has seen the state of us and turns the session over to his understudy, Duncan Cameron who went on to produce the likes of Teenage Fanclub, Texas and many others. The guy has alapiecia(sp?) not a single hair on his body. So he's been dubbed Kojak form the offset.

He's got us set up with the bass straight into the desk, I'm in a booth pluged into a bass amp that's cranked all the way to try and give me a bit of distortion. I've got my headphones cranked all the way up and all I can hear is me cause of the amp so I'm looking out the window at the drummer trying to visualy follow the song.

We keep fucking up and going out to cuff more joints thinking we'll get more focused.

27 takes later at the first song he calls us all into the control room. He goes, I think you should all come back when you're a bit straighter. The bass player turns to him and says, aye good idea...we'll come back when your eyebrows grow in

we're all on the floor in knots of laughter as he gets up and walks out. So the main man comes back in and suggests we take a break for half an hour and sit outside then try again cause we've already paid up front.

We did that and Duncan came back in and recorded 3 killer tracks for us (ok, we thought they were killer at the time cause we'd never been in a studio before). Probably the best 2 day bender I can remember from my teenage days (daze?)

Here's the song we nailed on the 28th take.

CONDEMNED Hi-Fi

CONDEMNED Download

It was recorded to 24 track 2inch tape by Duncan Cameron when he was a teaboy in a modest wee studio outside Glasgow. I manaded to save this song from a cassette tape about 8 years ago through a soundblaster onto the hard drive. It's been melted down to mp3 and the wav file is long gone.....take it for what it is

Great thread by the way

LemonTree said:
That's the funniest thing ever!

1987, I was in a punk band called Mental Abuse. We heard of some charity gig going on a few towns over from us so we decided to turn up unanounced and see if we can blag our way on the stage for a few songs. We were booked into a studio the next day to do a 3 track demo.

Our drummer knew the guy doing the sound so we were in and showed to a back room to leave our gear till it was time to play. We were all cranked out of our heads on drink and whatever else. Our singer spots a 24 pack slab of beer, litre of vodka & litre of whisky. Before anyone can say anything he's got it all in the back of the van.

We're back stage ready to go on and the compare dude goes up to the mic and says something about a raffle....... yeah...our singer had the raffle prizes in our van. I dunno if it was the guilt or the nerves but we all got the heads down and played a stormer 20 minute set, tighter than we'd ever been. Never did get found out about stealing the prizes.

That night after the gig we got driven home giving the singer pelters for putting us on the spot but at the same time delighted at the drink we had. We're back at mine and the beer and vodka's all gone, everyone's in a mess. The singer wants to open the whisky and I'm arguing with him we should keep it for the studio the next day

So we're out side throwing punches at each other over the stolen whisky. He knocks me on my arse beside a parked car and tries to put the boot in me but because he's so pissed with the drink he completly misses me and cracks his shin off the bumper of the car. I have to get up and help him back inside, the whisky gets drank and we all crash out

Next day we're on the way to the studio, we're traveling light, drummer has a pair of sticks, I've got a guitar, bass player a bass and the singer a badly bruised shin

We turn up, get asked where our amps are....big argument breaks out. So the engineer has seen the state of us and turns the session over to his understudy, Duncan Cameron who went on to produce the likes of Teenage Fanclub, Texas and many others. The guy has alapiecia(sp?) not a single hair on his body. So he's been dubbed Kojak form the offset.

He's got us set up with the bass straight into the desk, I'm in a booth pluged into a bass amp that's cranked all the way to try and give me a bit of distortion. I've got my headphones cranked all the way up and all I can hear is me cause of the amp so I'm looking out the window at the drummer trying to visualy follow the song.

We keep fucking up and going out to cuff more joints thinking we'll get more focused.

27 takes later at the first song he calls us all into the control room. He goes, I think you should all come back when you're a bit straighter. The bass player turns to him and says, aye good idea...we'll come back when your eyebrows grow in

we're all on the floor in knots of laughter as he gets up and walks out. So the main man comes back in and suggests we take a break for half an hour and sit outside then try again cause we've already paid up front.

We did that and Duncan came back in and recorded 3 killer tracks for us (ok, we thought they were killer at the time cause we'd never been in a studio before). Probably the best 2 day bender I can remember from my teenage days (daze?)

Here's the song we nailed on the 28th take.

CONDEMNED Hi-Fi

CONDEMNED Download

It was recorded to 24 track 2inch tape by Duncan Cameron when he was a teaboy in a modest wee studio outside Glasgow. I manaded to save this song from a cassette tape about 8 years ago through a soundblaster onto the hard drive. It's been melted down to mp3 and the wav file is long gone.....take it for what it is

Great thread by the way

aha! good read man.

I'm sure it must of been a riot digging up those old tracks and hearin them again, huh?

Boy, what I would give to find my first recording ever. And that really wasn't too long ago.

It's always kind of cool to see how we can progress. I bet you do what I always do and ask yourself,

"What was I THINKING?!"

True to form, 30 years from now I'll look back at the stuff I do now and laugh.

Hopefully, I still have a job after that good laugh!

By the way, I really vibe into the songs. It sounds like you had alot of fun doing them.

I have a younger brother that would love to listen to this, man.

He's in that 80s punk phase and he loves anything punk he can get his hands on. In fact, as his older brother, it would be nice to have him work for me one day.

The kid is only 8, and 9 times out of 10 he hates the bands I bring back to show him. Like he'll listen to the demo like, "shhhh...I'm listening".

Then he's like, "well...it's just that I don't feel anything there. There's no story. No substance. Show me something else. If you ask me, I would of done it this way."

Like I bring in bands that would make most people go wild and I never end up doing anything with them cause of his reaction. But well, you know how it is.

But yeh man....definitly good stuff. :D

Last edited:
Back