Prey For Maria

i listened to Losing Control, here's my thoughts:

the clean guitar tones sound good. the drums sound kinda papery, especially the hats and cymbals...real thin sounding. the vocals are too quiet, they need a good bump in volume and probably a little less reverb. the distorder guitars sound awesome. great tone!

ok i just listened to Godless now, here's some more thoughts:

same deal here, the hats sound really thin, did you put a hi-pass filter too high maybe? good balance on this track though, the vocals sound clearer, but could still use a bit more volume or something. the backing vocals during the chorus part almost sound louder than the main vocals. the singing in this song sounds a bit breathy, like not enough power to match the guitar tones. needs some more emotion! :)
good overall mix though.

thanks for the tips man...we haven't recorded as a band on home equipment before...it's tougher than I thought it would be lol

anymore input would be great! we could use it

Last edited:
I agree with everything zed remark on so far. The drums and bass sound very hollow, no mids/meat.
I also agree that the singer needs to put some stank on the vocals during the heavier parts. That backing part from the dude also needs to be buried/blended a little more. When he comes in, depending on th track, it sounds either too dry and up front(Godless), or badly overprocessed (I Hide Behind This Smile).

Nice songs tough, I enjoyed them very much. Nice harmonies.
Got some toe tappers there, good luck with em!

You all are catching the same things I noticed in the mix also.....It just seems way harder to mix female vocals then male vocals especially to a rock music setting...females just don't have the same volume in their voice as males.

anytips on mixing the drums to get the meat as you called it:) like I said we're new to home recording.

Plus some drum micing tips wouldn't hurt...anybody got some good links for me:)

Last edited:
Thanks man...I sent you a PM back:)

does anybody have any good links to drum micing (I'm not a drummer btw so I need all the help I can get)...it'd be appreciated.

Back