Pretty Sure I hot-plugged my m-audio firewire solo and ruined its functionality...

jameslondon69

Damn, I was setting up my old laptop with Firewire 1394 - 4pin (not 6) to my m-audio firewire solo interface to do some live MIDI out to my amp. I was over zealous and forgot to boot down my PC first and I plugged in the powered-up interface into the powered up PC via 1394. F---ME. I forgot this was a no-no since I hadn't set up the m-audio in a while...and yes its right there on the 3rd page of the manual. I didn't notice if it shorted in that moment of connection but a moment later I realized that the blue power light I've seen a million times representing the interface being on, was no longer on despite being plugged into the wall outlet. My computer beeped when I hot plugged which i mistakenly did several times... so I think its just the interface thats dead and that port is good. However, strangly the phantom power light still lights up on the interface when plugged in and the computer seems to see's the interface, just no blue light and then of cource the DAW can't see it still despite fresh drivers etc...:mad:

1. Anyone have a suggestion for a interface that doesn't have this hot plug problem that can do 4 pin firewire. that might not be as prone to this problem?
2. No way to fix the interface right?

Thanks!!
James

Last edited:
So after more hours of messing with this, I figured out that in fact I didn't fry my M-audio interface by hotplugging. It was a more simple order of installation type of deal...had to get everything reinstalled in order.

I also experimented with a USB interface, didn't work, too much noise from the PC...Firewire is noise free when outting from the headphone jack to keyboard amp.

hope this helps anyone with this issue

Back