Pretty happy with this so far, but would like some outside ears.

Bisson820

obviously no vocals yet, but im pretty happy about the mix thus far.

does anyone think the kick is too loud?

Thanks!!!

The kick is slightly too loud, and I like loud kicks, but it's a little much. The bass is way too loud. You must be the bassist. :D

I am, but oddly enough i wanted it lower :P but the band over ruled me (my plan is once the vox are in im gonna sneak it down without them knowing) ;)

I would be happy too. Great tones and it sounds good and solid.
Have to agree with Greg though. The kick is a bit heavy and the bass is right out there!

im glad we all agree, reinforces my initial thought... they're argument about the bass is they love the bassline and its the kick/snare/bass are the drivers of the song.

which they have that point... its valid... but i think they pushed it a bit too much.

greg hows the EQ portion?

The kick/bass/snare drives just about every song. This one is not unique in that regard. You can't mix by committee. You need to have one guy call the shots. The others can have some input of course, but they're wrong. The bass is way too loud, and they don't know what they're talking about.

I'll listen again later when I'm in front of monitors to try to give a more detailed analysis. As I recall, this one had better overall sounds than your other stuff, it's just the bass was way too loud.

The kick/bass/snare drives just about every song. This one is not unique in that regard. You can't mix by committee. You need to have one guy call the shots. The others can have some input of course, but they're wrong. The bass is way too loud, and they don't know what they're talking about.

I'll listen again later when I'm in front of monitors to try to give a more detailed analysis. As I recall, this one had better overall sounds than your other stuff, it's just the bass was way too loud.

whew.. down boy! we are all in agreement here lol.

I won't mention the kick and the bass being too loud as - doh! There is a guitar part in the right speaker that begins immediately after the stop at around 02:28. It's a very cool melodic part that I like A LOT - but it's a little low and the tone is kinda gnatty - I wouldn't normally bother to mention - but I really like that part.

whew.. down boy! we are all in agreement here lol.

I know. My point was that if you're doing the work on these mixes, then don't listen to your bandmates. Don't let them in on it. Make the mix and if they don't like it when it's finished, politely tell them to do it themselves then.

Back