Pretty Basic Question.

chrisp200

Ive Been Recording Accoustic Guitar Through A Mxl 67 Mic Into A Dmp3 Pre And Then Into The Computer. I Have Actually Got Pretty Nice Sound Quality For A Newbie. But I Was Wondering If There Is Something You Can Do About Accoustic Hits Or Parts That Are Louder Than The Other Parts In A Song? Is This All Up To The Guitarist To Be So Perfect Or How Do You Go About Limiting This?

Thank You

best to have the guitarist play as controlled as possible, but if the levels need some leveling, try using a compressor (either as a plug-in with your software, or a hardware one you record with).

The best answer is to control uneven levels by better performance technique. However, some subtle use of compression could be a option.

Your recording software may already provide some compression capabilities - if not there are plenty of hardware or software options on the market.

Do some basic research on audio compression and you should be able to assess if that may help your situation.

Maybe he doesn't need compression. Maybe using a volume envelope is enough. I'm sick of how the knee-jerk reaction is "stick a compressor on there."

Unless there's a consistant and very frequent spikes in volume that need taming, I would just use volume automation.

sorry for the caps. I am using Fl studio, I know I shouldnt use FL to record but I know the program well so it makes it pretty easy on me. I like to play with my fingers but I cant good enough clarity when I record with my fingers and you can hear my fingers plucking the strings which I hate. When I use a pick the sound almost seems to bright for me.

I have tried a few different mic placements but ill keep working at it and making adjustments as needed.

No one said this was going to be easy. haha thanks everyone your comments are appreciated

I like to play with my fingers but I cant good enough clarity when I record with my fingers and you can hear my fingers plucking the strings which I hate. When I use a pick the sound almost seems to bright for me.

Obviusly it's no substitute for getting it good on the way in, but you can probably fix that a bit with some basic EQing.

Back away from the mic on the louder parts. Mic technique (for me) is about as important on guitar as it is on vocals...

In the cases where you aren't able to back away from the microphone...then volume automation is probably best. If there are really big changes in volume then I wouldn't even suggest using a compressor to tame that...

If it's just a few spikes then knock them out manually with a wave editor. If there's many then retrack it making the musician aware of the problem. If it's just one section louder that doesn't spike then use a volume envelope or ride the fader.

Back