Pressing lost high end... sometimes??

kikkis

I'm very confused. I've just had our album pressed, I played it back in about a thousand different systems, and in some, I notice a significant lack of high end, compared to the CD-R burn straight from the masters that reside on my computer. Not all of them though, which is most intriguing.
Also, when I playback/rip in Windows Media, it's fine, but iTunes suffers the same high frequency deficiency.
Anyone help me on why this is happening? I'm pretty concerned about it...

A few things to check, especially in WMP and iTunes - ensure that the EQ settings are equal. Check that nothing is turned on such as 'bass boost' or any pre-set EQ's or whatever. It's highly doubtful the same CD can sound different on some hardware than others, it's most likely just the settings of the stereo.

Whenever i'm working (sound for visual), i always work with my old mono tv i have here to work directly for tv. It's totally different per set of speakers you listen to it on.

I understand that different systems will give you different results, what I don't understand is when I listen to the first 5 seconds of the pressed disc, then immediately put in the CD-R burnt straight from the masters (actually an identical disc to the one that the pressing was made from), I'm hearing something different.
Another interesting discovery - below are two links, both mp3, 256kbps rips from exactly the same (pressed) disc, from the same disc drive, the only difference is that one was ripped in Media Player, and one was ripped in iTunes.
If nobody can hear a difference, then I must completely be out of my mind haha!!

windows media

itunes

there's definitely a difference...however, this might have to do with the difference in compression algorithms used by each program. They both probably have their own flavor of MP3s. Do they sound this different during playback of the CD in each program?
(maybe this should be in a PC/Mac commercial..."iTunes ruins the quality of your ripped CDs!! Buy PC!")

anyway, the original questions might be something you need to bring up with the company who pressed it. I say talk to them.
http://www.johnvestman.com/digital_myth.htm

liking the song btw

Yeah you may be right... both files are slightly different file sizes too, which is odd.
The disc played through iTunes suffers the same degradation as what's heard in these mp3's... I've played back in Winamp and that sounds identical to what I hear via Windows Media.
Thanks for the link too, bennychico11, I'm going to digest that page over the next few days..

Cheers for the compliment!! [plug]Buy the album!! [/plug] haha.

the difference in file sizes probably just has to do with the metadata. I noticed the iTunes one contains much more info about the file in the Advanced Summary. Other than that they SHOULD be exact alike. I'd like to hear the difference in WAV files ripped by each program (although, does WMP even rip WAV files or just WMA?)

Cheers for the compliment!! [plug]Buy the album!! [/plug] haha.

I'll check it out :cool:
It's definitely a breath of fresh air to listen to a band who likes to experiment with 5/4.

Of course, I'm not going to buy the album off iTunes if iTunes makes it sound like this :eek: :D

Back