Presonus Studiolive 16:4:2 Love at first sight :)

Not much of a post - got the 16:4:2 yesterday with PT 9 and I'm in love, don't think I've been this excited / impressed with a bit of kit since I got my 238 in 1993.
This thing is freaking awesome!!!
It'll be a while before I'm bored :)

Congrats on your purchase! Enjoy!
I sold most of my old recording gear (RME stuff) recently because frankly I just didn't play much anymore. Now I was kind of looking for a simpler (less expensive) solution just to mess around with once in a while. Took me a while to walk away from this unit. I was very tempted. Seemed to be a one stop shop for everything. Converters/Preamps/mixer/control surface (it is a control surface as well right?). Figured it would replace a live mixer and give me the ability to record by booting up the computer
I ended up settling on a used Motu896HD. Just to get my feet wet again and I wanted to try out 96Khz (Perhaps a waste but was curious).

However, when I upgrade I think I'm going for the Studiolive. I've only heard good things about it. Keep us posted on what you think. I'm very curious to hear what you have to say about it.

Wondering if they will have a 96Khz version soon?

Day 2 and still grinning...
I ran a couple of old mixes through it last night and it struck me ... Moving from PT8.04 MP to PT9 is a breeze . Pick up the old mix update the I/O and away you go.
Everything about this desk seems to be where you want it, it is exactly the "out of box" experience I wanted.
A couple of things I wasn't sure of cos the info was misleading... you can mix / add effects in both "modes" through the mic pre and back through the firewire (this wasn't clear)
"Scenes" are not stored with your project, rather you have to store them either on the desk itself (a bit fiddly) or in the Universal control app ( easy as pressing save) just a housekeeping matter but different from what I was expecting.
I didn't mention but installation was a breeze (compared to the Project Mix) Win 7 64 1 disk and a firmware update Bingo!
UMAIR ... not really a controller I have the Fader port for that now (although that seems to be in the huff with PT9!) so the Axiom pro is standing in or I could just get off my a@#se :)

Hmmm.. Sounds like it delivers what you need.
As for the control surface, I'm guessing movements on the mixer do not translate into the DAW software?

So many years removed from this, I still get the occassional gear acquisition syndrome. I want what you have.... even though my Motu is still sitting on my desk waiting to be hooked up....
Must resist the urge....

Not much of a post - got the 16:4:2 yesterday with PT 9 and I'm in love, don't think I've been this excited / impressed with a bit of kit since I got my 238 in 1993.
This thing is freaking awesome!!!
It'll be a while before I'm bored :)

The 16.4.2 is a really nice unit. I use a 16.0.2 when I do live sound for bands at small venues. It works really well. Nice purchase!

EXCELLENT choice!!!
I've owned the StudioLive for 2 years now and I gotta say,...YOU CAN POLISH A TURD WITH IT!!!

I've taken some really old "lo-fi" sounding mixes and brought them to life with this board.
I'm more of an analog guy, and prefer my M-320B & M-3700 along with some tape...but this board is great when needing "the digital side of recording" or live use. It is super easy to use, and the pre's are of great quality.
A lot of people complain about the onboard effects,..but I do not see what the gripe is all about. I think it's strapped with some great sounding "room reverbs" and the compression is very usable, as well as the limiter.
Pair it up with Presonus Studio One Pro and the possibilities are ENDLESS!!!
Good Luck & Enjoy!!!

Attachments

• Yamaha MT44D and Presonus StudioLive 053.jpg
    Yamaha MT44D and Presonus StudioLive 053.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Yamaha MT44D and Presonus StudioLive 055.jpg
    Yamaha MT44D and Presonus StudioLive 055.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Yamaha MT44D and Presonus StudioLive 060.jpg
    Yamaha MT44D and Presonus StudioLive 060.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 42
Hmmm.. Sounds like it delivers what you need.
As for the control surface, I'm guessing movements on the mixer do not translate into the DAW software? ....

They don't but it has it's own GUI which emulates all the features of the board in real time, a bit confusing at first but I think it will be fine when I get used to it.

The 16.4.2 is a really nice unit. I use a 16.0.2 when I do live sound for bands at small venues. It works really well. Nice purchase!

I'm currently using a Mackie 1604 VLZ3 desk for live work - this would make my life so much easier, but I think I'd be scared to take it to some of the gigs we play!!!

EXCELLENT choice!!!
I've owned the StudioLive for 2 years now and I gotta say,...YOU CAN POLISH A TURD WITH IT!!!

I'm running PT9 and the 2 are currently playing nicely :) I havn't looked at Studio One yet although it comes with a cut down version (Studio One Artist)
I have seen some comments regarding the stability of the unit has yours behaved well Vessel?

I have seen some comments regarding the stability of the unit has yours behaved well Vessel?

NEVER had a problem. Notta nothin'. Works like a charm. (knocks on wood, after hearing this)
What problems have you heard of?
I've had mine hooked up to the Studio One Pro with no problems,...and I use it more as a stand alone with my Masterlink,..still never had any problems, after 2 years.

Back