Presonus Question

saads

Baka
I'm planning on buying a Presonus Firestudio Project from the US. However, I won't be using it there, the voltage for where I plan to use it is 220V. Now the manual says it's power is from 90-230V. And it also says it's "Factory Configured for the country of destination". What does that mean, will it be safe to use without a converter? Does anyone have experience with this? And if I do need to use a converter, will there be any extra noise in the recordings because of that? Thanks

The manual shows a desktop-style modular power cord that suggests an internal power supply is used. My guess is that a power converter could easily introduce noise, unless it were a really good one. And in that case, I would think that a good, clean power converter would be more expensive than the price difference of the version that comes in 220V (not sure of the circumstance, though). Factory configured also suggests there isn't a voltage switch on the back, rather a wiring change for the transformer in the power supply.

For what it's worth, I just noticed in my Firepod manual yesterday that it says that since Presonus has worldwide distribution that they do not warranty their products for use outside the country of the original purchase.

Good luck.

For what it's worth, I just noticed in my Firepod manual yesterday that it says that since Presonus has worldwide distribution that they do not warranty their products for use outside the country of the original purchase.

The Firepod also has a wall wart that is single-voltage, hence it is not guaranteed to even function in another country.

If the power supply is listed as being 90-230V, it should work regardless of where you are.

Actually, the only auto-sensing power supplies I've ever seen are the external/wall-wart style ones. I've never seen a piece of gear with an internal power supply that was auto-sensing. I've always assumed that it was a cost/convenience/efficiency consideration, because otherwise that feature would be really handy.

copied from the manual that you can download:

Power Adapter Input. This is where you plug in the proprietary power supply. If your computer has a standard IEEE 1394 6-pin connection, your FireStudio Mobile can be bus-powered (from the computer).
If you are using a computer with a 4-pin connection, or if you need to daisy-chain another bus-powered device from your FireStudio Mobile, then your FireStudio Mobile might not receive adequate power. When you plug in the power supply to your FireStudio Mobile, the unit will choose its power from the stronger source—the FireWire bus or the external supply—and will automatically switch to the best option.

Back