Presonus INSPIRE 1394 VS Firebox

HungPhat

i was about to finally settle my mind an purchase the firebox off ebay when this little device caught my eye...the Inspire 1394.

is this just a recently released product as ive been scouring ebay for the last few months and havent noticed it...

neways just wondering if anyone had any thing to say...to help me decide AGAIN what i want...

- i think the diffrence between the inspire and the firebox is that the firebox
has balanced inputs...what does that mean?

- someone said i can record 4 mic inputs simultaneously thru hte firebox but
i needed preamps for the 2 inputs in the rear?

- will that mean i will have to buy a preamp for each input on the Inspire??

- whats the diffrence between a TS and a TRS input?

neways hopefully someone can help me.
i would like to buy something soon so i can some recording done.
would liek to do 4 tracks simultaneously (ie 4 drum mics) so wondering which one is better suited to me.

cheers guys

and sorry for being a dumb newbie who cant decide what he wants (its been 3 months now and still no interface!!!)

Yes, the Inspire was just recently released.

This is a page I googled on balanced vs. unbalanced connections.

Yes, you will need two more preamps to use four mics.

As for deciding between the two, I would say it comes down to which one has features that you like better and your price range.

another question...

i also want to hook up a midi keyboard.
is this possible or do i need an interface with midi connections.

wanting to use the keyboard to trigger piano/drums/effects sounds etc.

There's no doubt in my mind --- spend the extra $100 and get the Firebox. Not only will you get a capable Firewire interface with nice mic preamps but also midi in and out which the Inspire does not have.

Quite pleased

I just picked up an Inspire 1394 just today and I can say I'm quite pleased with it. For the price (279.56 CDN including tax) you just can't beat it!
As for MIDI, well that's not really a concern with me since my control surface has a MIDI interface.
Since the unit is software controlled, meaning it has NO controls on it itself, give this little baby a nice clean look. Come with with lots of bundled software and plugins too... I like it!

ok...so im going to hook the keyboard up through usb...so the Inspire is still a possibility.

another stupid newbie question...

if i bought either the firebox or the inspire...and i wanted to plug a guitar DI to the front inputs...will i need a preamp(eg v-amp/POD) or will software like amplitude work.

if this is the case...which is better sounding ...Firebox or Inspire???

the inspire has all the features i need(for the time being)...but if the extra cash can justify better sound quality...then ill go for the firebox.

Back