Presonus Digimax FS vs. Digimax LT

scottn5388

What's the difference between the two?

zZounds.com is selling the Digimax FS, but I looked on the Presonus website and that unit isn't even aknowleged- only the Digimax LT.

Thanks,
Scott

Hmm...It's now listed on the PreSonus website.

I still don't understand what was changed in the move from the LT to the FS, except the XLR ins were moved to the front.

From the product description, it appears to me that the Digimax FS offers ADAT digital input AND output while the Digimax LT only offers ADAT output. The LT was released back in 2002 while the Digimax FS was released this year. So if you're looking for an ADA converter, I would go with the Digimax FS.

Oh yeah!

I'm mainly just looking for 8 preamps- I would use the ADAT out, but probably not the in.

Thanks!

-Scott

The FS model is the "FireStudio" version, with firewire connectivity to your DAW. It's basically a revamped Firepod. The LT is simply an 8 channel preamp with lightpipe out (I own one).

Don't know about the preamp quality (they won't be available for another month or two) but in all likelihood they will be about the same as all the other Presonus gear out there (Digimax, Firepod, etc).

Dirk

Also, it doesn't look like the FS has an internal power supply. Look at the power input, looks like it uses a lump-in-line or wall wart. Eeeeek. LT looks like the better bet to me. But that's little ol' me.

Jonathan

I should probably correct my previous post while this thread is topped...

The Digimax FS does *NOT* have firewire connectivity. My understanding was that Presonus would be releasing an 8 channel (with ADAT) version of the Firepod called the FireStudio, and I assumed this was it. Apparently not though.

I believe the FS preamps are the same as the Firepod's though, or at least pretty close. Not sure if the LT preamps are the same or a step up though.

Back