Presonus Audiobox 44VSL Question

joeboy235

Hi there,

I'm thinking about buying the Presonus Audiobox 44VSL, but I am concerned by the number of 'channels' it has. Because there are only 2 channels, does that mean that if I record 4 instruments, two tracks will be created (in cubase)? And the individual instruments couldn't be separated?

Thanks.

Why do you think it has 2 channels? And what are you calling a channel, anyway?

Just looking at a picture of it, the unit has 4 mic inputs, 2 of which double as line inputs, 2 of which double as instrument inputs, and should allow you to record 4 tracks at once, via any combination of these inputs, separately onto 4 individual tracks in your DAW software. If it couldn't do 4 at a time, separately, there would be little point giving it 4 inputs - it's not meant to be a mixer.

I'd just read this describing the unit: "2 dual-purpose, front-panel, mic/line input channels", and i thought 'channel' was referring to what gets sent to the DAW software through the USB. On a different note, do you have any opinion on the interface itself? Are there better/cheaper out there with the same spec? I like the look of it mainly because of the 4 potential mic inputs, which will be necessary for recording drums.

I'd just read this describing the unit: "2 dual-purpose, front-panel, mic/line input channels", and i thought 'channel' was referring to what gets sent to the DAW software through the USB. On a different note, do you have any opinion on the interface itself? Are there better/cheaper out there with the same spec? I like the look of it mainly because of the 4 potential mic inputs, which will be necessary for recording drums.

It does have "2 dual purpose, front-panel, mic/line input channels" and it also has "2 dual purpose, front-panel, mic/instrument channels" - total of 4. Sounds like you're reading the promo list rather than the spec... and they haven't included everything in that list. :thumbs up: They're "selling" the line inputs, which aren't obvious in a small picture, not the mic inputs, which are, by the sound of it.

No comment on the interface - I believe people favour Focusrite over Presonus around here at the budget end, but I don't know that Focusrite make an interface with 4 mic inputs. I haven't experienced either but there are plenty of threads here discussing various interface options... do a bit of snooping around...

Back