Presonus ACP88

Mr. Moon

Force of Naked
Hi. Anyone have any experience(s) with the Presonus ACP88 compressor/limiter/gate they'd like to share? I am contemplating purchasing one of these units primarily to use as a limiter and gate when recording drums. I have worked with drummers who request gates on this drum and/or that drum, so I want to have one handy so I can provide at least a couple channels of gates for paying customers. Because it is an 8-channel unit, I'm hoping to minimize the need for future purchases of separate gates and limiters.

PreSonus ACP88 (link)

Thanks!

-mr moon

Mr Moon...

I would strongly caution against using gates while recording. If you're working in a DAW anyhow, you can simply silence all of the parts between hits and you have no need for gates.

The problem with using gates during tracking is, say you set a threshold at -12dB and the guy plays a light tasteful little tom hit at -13dB. You aren't going to hear it because it's not loud enough to show up, and you just lost it forever.

That won't make the drummer happy...!

Now, during mixdown you may like the sound of a gate and that's fine, but typically I just cut everything out but the hits and no need for gating etc.

Limiting on the other hand is a separate issue and can be invaluable for stopping clipping of converters etc.

War

Warhead said:
Take a look at what I'm wearing, people. You think anybody wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it. - Rex Kwan Do
I love that quote! :D

Warhead said:
Mr Moon...

I would strongly caution against using gates while recording. If you're working in a DAW anyhow, you can simply silence all of the parts between hits and you have no need for gates.

The problem with using gates during tracking is, say you set a threshold at -12dB and the guy plays a light tasteful little tom hit at -13dB. You aren't going to hear it because it's not loud enough to show up, and you just lost it forever.

That won't make the drummer happy...!

Now, during mixdown you may like the sound of a gate and that's fine, but typically I just cut everything out but the hits and no need for gating etc.

Limiting on the other hand is a separate issue and can be invaluable for stopping clipping of converters etc.

War

Yes, I agree that gating is "not good" while recording, but there are those who request it and will not record without it on snare and such. I want to be able to offer that service to customers ...while at the same time I put another mic on the snare without the gate in the line.

The limiters are what I'm really after for recording drums ...just in case! ;)

-mr moon

I've never ever had someone refuse to work with me because there is no gate on something. I mean, gating is just so much easier to do after the fact...in the live realm i definately do prefer gating drums, especially the toms. but for recording, never. infact for recording it's much more desirable to get the drums to sound good, thus eliminating the need for a gate.

Actually, the Presonus ACP88 isn't that bad a unit. The cost per channel is friendly as well. I always keep one of those in each of my live racks for opening bands. 8 channels of halfway decent comps and gates in a 3 rack unit height:) I find that they seem to sound better on drums and bass though than other instruments, and OK on vocals as well:)

xstatic said:
Actually, the Presonus ACP88 isn't that bad a unit. The cost per channel is friendly as well. I always keep one of those in each of my live racks for opening bands. 8 channels of halfway decent comps and gates in a 3 rack unit height:) I find that they seem to sound better on drums and bass though than other instruments, and OK on vocals as well:)

Cool! How about the limiters? Are they decent? ...fast enough to use on drums?

Thanks!

-mr moon

Back