Presonus 44 VSL or?

MrEWorm

Current setup:
I have Sony VAIO laptop running Windows 7. I am recording through my Yamaha PA system, using an RCA plug to the laptop. I have generic mic and pickup cords. 3 Audio Technica M8000 mics. I also have a pair of inexpensive Nady wireless mics
Most of my songs are simplistic folky things that I play in public. No need for drum tracks (yet). I also lend my PA out for groups that give speeches and would like to record the talks they give.
I do use the multitrack feature. I use some Bose IPod ear plugs for head phones.
All of my recordings have considerable dirt in the sound that I use the Audacity noise filter to remove.

I need an interface, a DAW and headphones at a minimum. I have $1000 that I could spend on this project.

I suspect that 2/2 would be enough for my current needs but everything I read says to get extra capacity so I/m looking at 4/4.

The only reason I'm looking at the 44VSL is they have one at a shop that I frequent.

Any suggestions are welcome

The 44VSL will handle what you need & be a big jump in quality & probably solve your "dirt" problem. IMHO try one of the under $99 or less DAW's (Reaper, Mixcraft 5, Cakewalk), $99 or less headphones (AT or Yamaha), & buy a good $200-300 condenser mic. You'll be amazed at the difference. Use the rest of the money for room treatment & monitors.

I bought the Presonus yesterday.
I got some AKG headphones that were pricey but very nice, replacable cord etc. The 44VSL includes Studio One Artist DAW that appears pretty complete. I spent a couple hours loading software, updates etc. Haven't started playing with the interface yet.
I'm surpeised the Presonus doesn't have an "off" switch. You unplug to power off.

Yes Studio One is getting better all the time. I forgot that it's included with most PreSonus interfaces. Try it for a while. Good luck with your new goodies!

I have the AudioBox 22VSL and its a rely sweet interface, i bet you will be more then ahppy with the 44VSL

I just started playing with the software yesterday afternoon. There are two pieces of software, one is Virtual Studio Live or VSL where you can put in effects in real time. The other is the Studio One where you make additional changes.

I'm really not sure what I'm doing. In the past I used Audacity and the only thing I edited was using the sound filters. I don't know that using VSL will enhance anything. I'm not sure what the relationship is between VSL settings and the actual WAV file that StudioOne produces.

Maybe I'll have time to play with it today......

The VSL is a mixer that allow you to get some effects on your playback.. you can also post the effect and get your audio processed ..
its basically a playback engine.

Studio One is the DAW, recording software that is the replacement for audocity.

Thanks for the info and the link to your review of the 22VSL. I really don't plan on doing a bunch of processing, I just wanted a way to record that didn't use the laptop sound card.
I'm thinking I should just skip the VSL software and record right in StudioOne.

Yes. Record right onto the software....I have Studio One Pro and I plan on upgrading to Studio One Pro 2. It has everything you need. Drum loops, Native Instruments Kore Player and Kontakt, and it's easy to use once you get the hang of it. I also have a BlueTube DP mic preamp that has no on or off switch. It must be unplugged as well as my AudioBox USB and Faderport. The Monitor Control Station does though.

Back