Presonus 1818VSL Pops All The Time :-(

michkid

Just bought one of these and it starts popping and clicking as soon as I start my computer up and continues indefinitely. My daw doesn't even have to be open. I've used the Firepod with no problems. Tried all versions of the drivers on the presonus site. I've followed all articles on the site for recommended settings for audio. Tried switching all cables and plugging it in different outlets and USB ports.

I am using a brand new Dell Inspiron laptop with 8 gig ram,Windows 7 Home Premium 64. The computer has all USB 3 ports. I downloaded the update from dell for USB 3.

Anyone else have this problem?

Mines worked perfect, never had an issue ;\ . Your getting a popping/clicking out of speakers/monitors or the actual unit is making sounds?

do you have all the gain knobs turned all the way down? idk sounds like you got a bad one, id contact your supplier or even presonus

Hi michkid,

I've got the 44VSL , same thing with less inputs...........exactly the same problem !!
Even playing mp3's through media player brings out the pops and clicks , wierd as it's a lot newer than my other interface ( Fast track Ultra ) yet I have never had an issue with that !!!

I hear ya, JPB....I used a Firepod for years with no problem. I've got the gain knobs down and I still have popping through the main outs and headphone jack.

Sucks because I bought this computer in December, so I'm kinda stuck trying to work out the kinks on this Inspiron 17R.

thats crazy i used to 44 first and thats why i bought the 1818vsl...When the computers off it doesn't pop at all..? Have you opened up the vsl software to see what channel the sound is coming through? This is my favorite cheap usb AIF, sucks to hear you both had issues with it. I don't think it's the hardware itself but something in your audio configuration, open up your VSL software and see which channels are getting noise through them, and open up your windows playback/recording devices panel and see if u can locate the source.

I figured it out finally. And the answer is very annoying. After getting zero help from Dell technical support, I stumbled on a post in the Presonus forums. Apparently, new Intel chip sets use a USB 3.0 extensible host controller driver. Intel is aware that there are many compatibility issues with this driver and external usb audio interfaces. At this time they have no intention of fixing this incompatibility issue.

I had to open my Control Panel and uninstall the Intel USB 3.0 extensible host controller driver. After a restart of my computer, everything worked fine and I FINALLY had no pops or crackles. However, this now means that my USB ports on my computer are all working as USB 2.0. Whatever...I'm just glad I could finally use the 1818vsl for something other than a paperweight. This is probably what kept screwing up my focusrite scarlette too (I will never know because i sold it on ebay before i could get it to work). Hope this may help someone else out as well!!!

oh yeah a bunch of motherboards got produced and sold with bad 3.0 ports as well, pretty pathetic. Honestly the audiobox1818 isn't going to utilize 3.0 speeds anyways though, so you should be straight

Back