premier vs. Tama

Wallycleaver

Hi all,
Here is the story. I'm a new drummer looking at purchasing a new set. I have found 2 sets that fit my budget and style. First is a tama rock star, and the second is a premier astria i belive. The tama lists for $800 getting it for $500 the premier lists for $1200 getting it for $450. Which one should I get?

[This message has been edited by Wallycleaver (edited 07-09-2000).]

Well, I'm certainly not an expert on either of the two kits you mentioned but since no one else has responded, here's my 2 cents:

I currently play Sonor's and when I make my next trade it will be to Premiers. I looked at both when I got this set, but the store was discontinuing the Sonor line and they made me a heck of a deal.

What I personally like so much about the Premiers are the undersized shells. This gives the drums more resonance. I like for my drums to sing. The birch/eycalyptis/birch shell construction of the Premiers should make them a good all-around kit.

As a note; I owned a Tama Super Star kit when I toured and it was a great kit. Try to play as many kits as you can. Like the rest of us, you'll probably end up trading every few years anyway.

Mark

Hello everybody,

First of all I'd like to say that this site is GREAT! I've been following this for a while and finally found the courage to register and get amongst you all.

I've been playing my Tama artstar ES kit for about five or six years and I love it. About a year ago in a local music store I ran into this small Premier Resonator kit which basically blew me away. It has 18" kick 10" & 15" toms. Well, anyway, what I've noticed between these two kits is that Tama toms have a little bit longer sustain than the Premier. The Premier toms have more presence or something. Of course someone else would use some other adjectives...

The bottom line is that my Tama kit is lying in the corner and if there's anyone interested in Helsinki (Finland) area I'd love to give you a good deal on them. ;-)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markr:
Like the rest of us, you'll probably end up trading every few years anyway.

Mark
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Mark-Isn't that the Truth! Hahahaha

Always in search of that ever elusive "sound"!!

Tim

Hey,
I got the tama set. I wanted the premier but they had sold it an hour before I got there. But I'm very happy with the tama. Thanks for all the replies!

Back