Preemie Newbie Really Needs Your Help!

shootingstarpro

I'm disappointed I didn't get any response to my first post, so I'm doing a poll with the same information. I really need help guys because I'm newer than a "newbie" I'm a "preemie"!!!

I have been trying to play guitar and sing vocals at home using the following equipment:

1 MosValve TubeWorks MV-982
1 ART FXR Elite Digital Multi Effects Processor
1 ADA MP-1 Midi Programmable Tube Pre-Amp
1 Gemini PL-9 Power Supply
1 Zoom Rhythm Trak RT-123
A pair of ADA stackable 12s 100 watt 8ohmn floor speakers
1 Shure SM57 Unidyne III microphone
A set of Sony headphones

Now, I say try, because I don't even know if I have all of this equipment connected correctly. First of all I don't know how or where to plug the mic in so I've been going to a small guitar amp which doesn't sound very good. I've tried putting the mic into various line in channels on the ADA MP-1 but no sound comes out. I feel so stupid because I know I'm not using this equipment to its potential and it cost a small fortune (several years ago).

My next problem is when I use the drum unit (Zoom RT-123), the only way I can seem to get guitar sound and drum sound is to run the guitar into the Zoom via line in and from the Zoom's right output into the ADA MP-1. I've tried to follow the directions on this equipment, but really don't have a good grasp of connections.

Okay, now if you've finished laughing about what a basket case I am, are you ready for question number 3? My ultimate goal is to utilize the equipment and go digital with some type of a computer. I have a crappy old Packard Bell 70CD Legend Supreme (at least 8 or 9 years old that I think is a Pentium) and I also have an NEC (Pentium II - I think) both have basic sound cards and not a whole lot of memory so I haven't even tried hooking them up for musical purposes. Friends who are more computer literate have told me that the computers I currently have are not worth upgrading as they are not fast enough and would require new sound cards, memory, etc.

To further complicate my dilemma, I am interested in editing digital video on a computer as well as music. I tinker with shooting digital on a JVC mini-DV and would like to be able to edit sound and video on a better computer system. What I ultimately want to do is record my own music and also to add music to my own digital videos. Do you have any suggestions in terms of a computer setup that would enable me to record high quality sound, mix it, burn it onto CDs (CD-R???) and also edit video? Is there a system out there that I can buy that comes with everything I need? Software? Hardware? I think Cakewalk would be great for the audio software, but does it also allow me to handle digital video editing? Or is this all a dream and there's no such thing as having your Cakewalk and eating it too?

I have visited the website many times and it is incredibly informative, but I'm still just not gettin' it!

Any assistance anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated as I have been debating the products and technology for over a year now and all of my "great" ideas are still in my head. Thanks.

Back