Preemie Newbie Desperately Needs Your Help!

shootingstarpro

Okay, guys I really need your help desperately. I've been writing my own material, playing guitar and singing vocals and I finally need to figure out how to use the equipment I currently have and purchase what I need to be able to record it onto a CD. I previously posted this but no one responded...Please HELP!

I have been trying to use the following equipment for playing guitar and singing.

1 MosValve TubeWorks MV-982
1 ART FXR Elite Digital Multi Effects Processor
1 ADA MP-1 Midi Programmable Tube Pre-Amp
1 Gemini PL-9 Power Supply
1 Zoom Rhythm Trak RT-123
A pair of ADA stackable 12s 100 watt 8ohmn floor speakers
1 Shure SM57 Unidyne III microphone
A set of Sony headphones

Now, I say try, because I don't even know if I have all of this equipment connected correctly. First of all I don't know how or where to plug the mic in so I've been going to a small guitar amp which doesn't sound very good. I've tried putting the mic into various line in channels on the ADA MP-1 but no sound comes out. I feel so stupid because I know I'm not using this equipment to its potential and it cost a small fortune (several years ago).

My next problem is when I use the drum unit (Zoom RT-123), the only way I can seem to get guitar sound and drum sound is to run the guitar into the Zoom via line in and from the Zoom's right output into the ADA MP-1. I've tried to follow the directions on this equipment, but really don't have a good grasp of connections.

Okay, now if you've finished laughing about what a basket case I am, are you ready for question number 3? My ultimate goal is to utilize the equipment and go digital with some type of a computer. I have a crappy old Packard Bell 70CD Legend Supreme (at least 8 or 9 years old that I think is a Pentium) and I also have an NEC (Pentium II - I think) both have basic sound cards and not a whole lot of memory so I haven't even tried hooking them up for musical purposes. Friends who are more computer literate have told me that the computers I currently have are not worth upgrading as they are not fast enough and would require new sound cards, memory, etc.

To further complicate my dilemma, I am interested in editing digital video on a computer as well as music. I tinker with shooting digital on a JVC mini-DV (digital video camera) and would like to be able to edit sound and video on a better computer system. What I ultimately want to do is record my own music and also to add music to my own digital videos. Do you have any suggestions in terms of a computer setup that would enable me to record high quality sound, mix it, burn it onto CDs (CD-R???) and also edit video? Is there a system out there that I can buy that comes with everything I need? Software? Hardware? I think Cakewalk would be great for the audio software, but does it also allow me to handle digital video editing? Or is this all a dream and there's no such thing as having your Cakewalk and eating it too?

I have visited the website many times and it is incredibly informative, but I'm still just not gettin' it!

Any assistance anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated as I have been debating the products and technology for over a year now and all of my "great" song and video ideas are still in my head. Thanks.

Whew, what a post!

I just want to say one thing about digital video work -- currently Win98 and WinME have a 4 GB file limit, so you cannot make single video files that are over that size. Off the top of my head I think that corresponds to about 12-15 minutes at the highest quality available. I believe Win 2000 does not have this limit. But Win 2000 has other issues related to MIDI and digital audio, so be sure once you figure out what you need to do that you research carefully and get the right hardware and software.

Originally posted by shootingstarpro
Okay, guys I really need your help desperately. I've been writing my own material, playing guitar and singing vocals and I finally need to figure out how to use the equipment I currently have and purchase what I need to be able to record it onto a CD. I previously posted this but no one responded...Please HELP!

Thats because the question "How do you do it" is impossible to answer, basically. :)

I can understand that you don't know how to connect this equipment, because neither do I.
You have speakers, but no amp?
You have loads of equipment but no mixer or computer?
I'm confused.

I've tried putting the mic into various line in channels on the ADA MP-1 but no sound comes out.

1. Mics are not line level. Mics are mic level.
2. Does that ADA MP-1 have a line level input? Anyway, it's a guitar preamp, so don't bet that it works with normal mics.

WHOA!!

..... I think your best bet right now would be to buy a home recordists how to book that explains what all the basic equipment is, how to use it, and how to hook it up. You might be able to go to your local library and find something. Even if it's only about anolog gear, getting a basic understanding of this stuff is IMPERITIVE for you to learn anything.

There's WAY too much to try and put on a post and once you have the basics down it would be much easier for us to help you out. Also, go to your local music stores and ask, it would be much easier for someone with some equipment on hand to show you some of this stuff. If there are any open jams in your area, go to them and ask, most people will take the time to help someone genuinely interested.
Good luck!!!
Phil

Thanks, keep those cards and letters coming!

Hey guys,
Thanks for your replies so far...hoping a few more people have some other suggestions too.

regebro: the ADA MP-1 has one input in the front and also an input in the back but neither says "line" so I don't know whether they are or not. In the back, it also has a bunch of outs and ins, send, receive, midi stuff, headphone input, etc. but nothing that says "line" or "line in". So I guess what you're trying to tell me is that means I can only send a guitar through it and not vocal, eh?

I guess my biggest question remains...do I go for analog recording or try to set up computer recording/editing system? Either way, looks like I'll have to spend money, but I'm just trying to determine if the equipment that I have is more compatible to analog recording or computer recording.

I guess if no one else has any other suggestions, I'll traipse down to the local "Daddy's Junky Music" and the library for how to advice.

Thanks again to all.

Analog or Digital

An analog 24 track tape recorder costs $50,000 and up, plus all of the other studio hardware. The DIGI 001 with 8 inputs , 8 outputs, headphone amp, 2 mic preamps, 48 volt phanthom power for mics, an audio card and ProTools digital recording software costs $799 from most suppliers. You be the judge. Thats what I use. (Check out www.digidesign.com). Also, read "Modern Recording Techniques" by Huber & Rumstein which covers all the basics of all recording techniques, equipment, sound room setup, etc.

As far as I can see, your equipment is not particularily incompatible with either PC or non-PC recording.

SleepyJohns comparison of a $50.000 analog 24-trak and his DIGI001 is not comparing equal things, I might add, and is a most unfair comparison.
Rather compare the DIGI001 + PC = $1500 to a 16 track portastudio ($1200) and you'll get a more fair comparison.

However, if you already have a PC with a soundcard, n-tracks can get you started for like $50 or so. Starting off with PC recording is cheaper, if you don't count the cost of the PC.

regebro and SleepyJohn -- Thanks very much for your input (pun intended). I appreciate both sides of the coin here. SleepyJohn, unfortunately I do not have $50,000 to plunk down and as a preemie newbie, I'm leaning much closer to the other end of the spectrum: the under $1,500 setup. I'm definitely thinking that PC is the way to go and I've been looking at (now don't laugh) a Cakewalk/Peavey Studio Mix system (one of the earlier versions that came out a couple years ago). I think I should be able to upgrade to newer Cakewalk version. I've visited the Cakewalk forum here and it seems that maybe this is an ideal way to go for a true beginner. I definitely will check out that Modern Recording Techniques book. I am a big fan of reading to figure out how to do something. I may have more specific questions about the existing equipment I have and sending it through the itty bitty Peavey mixer in the future, so thanks again guys and stay tuned!

I have an MP-1

The input on the front and the back are the same, and are for guitar only. Its a nice unit, a bit "'80's" but not useful for recording vocals.

The equipment you described in your post is a nice half stack for guitar, but as was mentioned before, except for the 57 and the headphones, is not appropriate for recording.

There's a thread in the sound card forum that has some recommendations for a budget, beginning setup. Its called "how to get started for not much $$$" or something like that.

Based on your post, I would definintely agree that some study is in order before you get out your wallet. You can find a selection of books at any of the big bookstores or Amazon.

The gear adds up quickly, so it would be a good idea to spend $20-$50 (even the books are expensive) before "buying a studio".

As you can see, there's a lot of ways for skinning this particular cat, so having a clear idea of what you need will help with wise purchase decisions.

Good luck.

Dear Schwa,
Wow! Someone who is more familiar with the half stack that I have for guitar than I am! Okay, one more question: Is there any way to route my guitar only through the stack and through the Peavey mixer and then send into the computer for editing? I have been able to get drum machine to work through stack, but as you pointed out NO VOCALS. Wondering if I could put SM-57 directly into mixer or do I need to pre-amp it first?
Gotta get those books!
Thanks again.

I didn't see anything about a mixer...

What kind of mixer is it? If its a typical mixer, you can route both the guitar and the drum machine throught the mixer and the mixer outs into the sound card. In fact, thats a typical setup. Now be careful, the preamp out needs to go to the mixer BEFORE the power amp. if you use the speaker out after the power amp, you'll fry everything.

Back