preamps with inputs on rear....

detuned6

Metal dude
So, im at GC sper sale(hah) this morning at 8:30 am. Guitar dept-lame- same shit , they have two 7 strings in the whole place. move on , drum dept,lame,crappy stick bundles,move on ,pro audio , they had the rode nt3(reg $150) for 100 beans, hmmm. i fight the urge. and decide to drive to the next GC(45 min away) untill i came across a DBX 386 2 ch tube pre amp... for $299. So, its got spdif inputs-perfect for adding to my digi 001 for more recording tracks. its two channels -i love that 2 in one shit:D . its got 1/4" inputs(something my aphex 107's dont have). Its also got inserts on both channels. and it looks so spiffy :p .
so i get it home and ....."argh the dam xlr inputs are on the rear".
all my preamps have the inputs on the front side.
But all in all, it sounds very clean and has more headroom than my other preamps.

I hear ya. But if you have some other pres and can leave your favorite mics hooked up to it permanently, it isnt' that bad, is it? Unfortunately, for the time being, I'm having to yank them in and out all the time..... and it's a nuisance. An excuse to buy more pres.

I have the the FMR pre and compressor and it has the same. All the connections are on the rear. But I acually like it since I keep the units in a tight area, it leaves the front tidy looking as opposed to all the wires.

For me, I leave the cables connected all the time and just change out the mics as needed. Not sure if that unit has phantom power or not but that would be something to watch for when changing just the mic and not the cable. I've found myself trying to power my dynamics. 8^O.

Space

Except for DI's I prefer inputs on the rear as well. Keeps things looking neat and tidy in the studio, and easy to patch out to my patchbays.

Not sure I understand the issue -- MOST gear has the I/O at the back -- it's most common to run it to a patchbay, so it's a non-issue!!!

XLR pathcbays are a non-issue too! I've got 2 of them and working on a third!

jake-owa said:
Make an XLR mic panel that runs straight to your top row on your patchbay.

Or buy one... I got one in my preamp rack, but I can't remember the make and model right now.

I think the name was Signex or something.

You don't need an XLR patchbay. Just use a 1/4" TRS patchbay and buy or build some XLR to TRS cables. If you have a TT patchbay you'd just get some XLR to TT cables.

SonicAlbert said:
You don't need an XLR patchbay. Just use a 1/4" TRS patchbay and buy or build some XLR to TRS cables. If you have a TT patchbay you'd just get some XLR to TT cables.
True, but for some reason, it always bothered me sending phantom power thru TRS bays.... though I suppose it's just me being anal!

Being a robust dude, I just like not having to bend my fatt but around to the back of my rack gear. Just call me lazy, I guess. BTW, I use a furman trs patch, and never run phantom through it, just never even thought of doing that.

Back