Preamps on an old Ramsa

LfO

I have an opportunity to pick up a big old Ramsa mixer for a song (I suspect its a Ramsa 8118, but I'll have to check in a couple of days when I'm in it's vicinity to make sure). I do almost everything in-the-box - I mostly write electronic music using softsynths, but I do end up recording vocals with one of those old-fashioned microphone thingies :Wink:

So, I'm wondering if the sound of the preamps would make it worth lugging the thing home and taking up studio space? Currently, I'm just using the built-in preamps on my M-Audio Omni breakout box. Is something this old (late 70s, early 80s?) likely to require work to function by any decent recording standards? The previous owner is a community theater, and they say everything still worked on it, up to when they replaced it with something sleeker in the last year or so.

I worded that badly for a recording forum - just to be clear, by "for a song", I meant dirt cheap.

I have an opportunity to pick up a big old Ramsa mixer for a song (I suspect its a Ramsa 8118, but I'll have to check in a couple of days when I'm in it's vicinity to make sure). I do almost everything in-the-box - I mostly write electronic music using softsynths, but I do end up recording vocals with one of those old-fashioned microphone thingies :Wink:

So, I'm wondering if the sound of the preamps would make it worth lugging the thing home and taking up studio space? Currently, I'm just using the built-in preamps on my M-Audio Omni breakout box. Is something this old (late 70s, early 80s?) likely to require work to function by any decent recording standards? The previous owner is a community theater, and they say everything still worked on it, up to when they replaced it with something sleeker in the last year or so.

I had that console when it was new. I found it to sound thin and "transistory"
It is worth a shot I guess as it was 1980 when I had mine and my memory may not be accurate anymore.

I'm actually looking for an old RAMSA. I need some color and heard several people comment about how the Ramsa gets a little color when the pre's are driven in the red. It looks like you can pick up just about any of the 8* series between $100-$200 so i thought i'd try it for the pre's and summing, may even try an OTB mix. The only thing i don't like is the one i', looking at is unbalanced with -10DBV Direct outs..
Ryan

Back