Preamp with Ribbon mic

Jillchaw

I have a ribbon mic that i like the sound of, but i use it with one of the old Joe Meek vc3s or whatever. The small one. Anyways it doesnt sound bad, but therei s some noise from cranking it to get the ribbon up to correct gain amount. Are the new OneQs cleaner when you crank them? Would i see improved results if i used one of those? Thanks

I've had good results with the DMP3 and the VTB1. Both are pretty clean on the upper end of the gain scale. You'll find that your problem with noise at the high end is pretty common on low cost and affordable high gain pre-amps. I've just been lucky with these two.

BTW...next time you're shopping for a ribbon, take note, there are some units out there with slightly higher outputs. Might ask around if anyone has done any transformer swaps that turn out a little more gain. I'm thinking a nice lundahl or Jensen?

punkin said:
BTW...next time you're shopping for a ribbon, take note, there are some units out there with slightly higher outputs.

...actually, the new phantom-powered (transformer-coupled) ribbons such as the Karma K6 are much easier to power...don't require the typical 60dB+ that the standard ribbon mics thrive on...

kidvybes said:
...actually, the new phantom-powered (transformer-coupled) ribbons such as the Karma K6 are much easier to power...don't require the typical 60dB+ that the standard ribbon mics thrive on...
hey kidvybes,
you obviously know a whole lot about these and other mics (i took your advise off another board about switching out the tube on my k-58 too-- thanks!)-- do you store your k-6's standing up like you're supposed to do with other ribbons? the cases kind of make them point down and to the side.
tia for any knowledge

Last edited:
Jillchaw said:
I have a ribbon mic that i like the sound of, but i use it with one of the old Joe Meek vc3s or whatever. The small one. Anyways it doesnt sound bad, but therei s some noise from cranking it to get the ribbon up to correct gain amount. Are the new OneQs cleaner when you crank them? Would i see improved results if i used one of those? Thanks

check out the AEA TRP...designed for ribbons..

also ..DAV BG-1 has 66db of gain, Millennia, etc..

oh yeah-- the actual question (sorry) :rolleyes:
i know grace makes a version of the 101 modified with extra gain, specifically for ribbons too.

in the case you are dead set in getting another Meek, the preamps in the newer Meek stuff are pretty clean/quiet at high gain. I have the twinQ but the preamp section is the same with all the new Meek gear (with the exception of the Iron switch on the higher end models). I have used it with a Beyer M260 with good results. Of course the other options previously discussed are great choices as well.....

kojdogg said:
hey kidvybes,
you obviously know a whole lot about these and other mics (i took your advise off another board about switching out the tube on my k-58 too-- thanks!)-- do you store your k-6's standing up like you're supposed to do with other ribbons? the cases kind of make them point down and to the side.
tia for any knowledge

...yeah, you're right about the odd configuration on the K6 storage case...what I try to do is stand the case on it's end and rotate it every so often (every couple of weeks) so the ribbon doesn't have an opportunity to sag from sitting in one position too long...the ribbon elements in all of these Chinese mics are somewhat similar and (from what I'm told) should not sit in one position for extended periods of time (so as not to extend the "pleating" folds of the ribbon itself)...I would avoid setting the case down (as it's meant to sit...with the Karma logo facing upwards) for too long as that would seem to position the ribbon in a very vulnerable posture...
...I may try to contact Waylon at Karma to see if he's aware of the ribbon's vulnerability based on the storage case design... :confused:

For a ribbon mic, you want something with lots of gain and with a switchable input impedance. I like the Great River NV series for ribbons. One time, I had a Millenia TD-1 when I was experimenting with ribbons. It sounded wonderful with the AEA R92 and it sort of put a bad sound on one side of the sE R1 while it sounded great with the front side of the mic (the R1 has sounded fabulous with every other mic pre I've used it on).

With a Ribbon mic if your present Pre amp isn"t produceing enough gain to drive the Riddon you can put a Small Fet Signal Booster in line between the Mic and your Pre which will increase the signal strength comeing from your Ribbon mic and also convert the Impedance to a Low impedance (If the Ribbon is a High impedance output ribbon) signal......

It is very simular to a DI but also boosts the signal as well as Impedance match the output....

You can Probably buy a device like this for fairly cheap or you can build one for Probably under $20 in Parts if you have soldering skills.....

Cheers

punkin said:
BTW...next time you're shopping for a ribbon, take note, there are some units out there with slightly higher outputs. Might ask around if anyone has done any transformer swaps that turn out a little more gain. I'm thinking a nice lundahl or Jensen?

In my two ribbon mods, the first one made almost no difference. The stock transformer was very good quality cheap junk, which explains why I always liked it. The levels were about the same.

The second mic I modded, the difference was dramatic, and there was probably about a 3dB improvement with the Lundahl over the stock transformer. The stock transformer had a bit of ringing and the output was dull in addition to being low.

Your mileage may vary widely, particularly when working with cheap Chinese transformers.

Back