Preamp used as a post-amp?

ishou

Okay, this may be one of those "try it and see" questions like the ZOOM one, but I don't know too much about what preamps are and what they do, and just want some clarity as to exactly what I'm doing. I bought 2 ART tube MPs, having known that the point of having them is to improve the quality of my recordings, and that when used, "it's like pulling cotton out of your ears." Having only two ART tube MPs, I need to record my drums, which I'm using four mics for. I have a mixer/four track, and what I do is record all four mics on their own track, then mix down to my computer (cakewalk). I was wondering, instead of using the preamp on only two mics, can I use it during mixdown? what I would do is plug the left and right into the two inputs of the two ART pres and then the left and right outs into my soundcard. (to preserve stereo!) Question is, what will this do to what I've recorded? And if this won't achieve improving the sound quality (which is why I bought the ARTs), I will have to use them on only two mics. I have an AKG C1000S and SM57 for overhead, an SM57 for snare, and an AT-25 for kick. Which ones should I pick?

It's not a sound improving box

Well, it's an amplifier and the main purpose for using this thing is to amplify the signal. I see no point using Art Tube MP while Mixdown while your level should be ok and if not you can use your software fuction to do the job. Because using to much amp will introduce a lot of noise to the signal as well.

Hope I explain clearly bcuz my english is quite... you know.. :-)

You should try it to see how it sounds1 :)

I run ALL my mixes through one of my ART Tube MP's going to the soundcard for mix down.

Yes, a little noise is introduced. But, the smoothing of transients and the little bit of color is very nice.

While a mic preamps main function is to convert microphone level signals up to line level signals, it can also be used on line level sources. In the case of tube preamps, you add the tube's coloring to the sound. Not a huge thing, but, you will hear an immediate difference in your mixes if you run them through the ART on the way to the soundcard.

Ed

Back