Preamp through XLR Patchbay?

HydrantC12

I want to bring all the inputs of my preamps to the front of my rack cause its annoying reaching back there when i want to record.

So my question is..if i run the inputs of my preamps to the patchbay...will that effect the quality of the signal? Will i still have that preamp sound?

Im thinking of something like this

http://www.hosatech.com/hosa/products/PDR-369.html

Hope you guys get what i meen. Any info would be awsome. thanks!

It shouldn't degrade the signals noticeably as long as the contacts/connections are good. It should just be like using a longer mic cable.

Get XLR to TRS patch out of your pre amp into the patch bay. Then you have TRS in the front to work with, its very easy to work with

Btw

What is a patchbay? This question has haunted me for a year or two now. Kind of pathetic. But since you don't really know who I am...I feel comfortable asking it. Lol.

A unit where all the ins and outs of your gear are arranged to alleviate the necessity of crawling around behind your outboard gear to access the appropriate jack.

If you buy a high end patchbay, all the connections are soldered. So there are no plugs on the back, just the bare ends of the wires.

I don't see what's wrong with the original XLR patch panel he suggested. Would this just make things a lot easier that using adapters or getting/building XLR-TRS cables? And I can't think of any situation where you would need to normal this kind of connection in any way, so it'd be pointless to have both rows in the TRS bay if all you wanted was to hook your mic to your pres.

HydrantC12 said:
I want to bring all the inputs of my preamps to the front of my rack cause its annoying reaching back there when i want to record.

So my question is..if i run the inputs of my preamps to the patchbay...will that effect the quality of the signal? Will i still have that preamp sound?

Im thinking of something like this

http://www.hosatech.com/hosa/products/PDR-369.html

Hope you guys get what i meen. Any info would be awsome. thanks!
I know exactly what you're after and I've been trying to find the same thing for myself. Using the XLR patch pay shouldn't pose any problems at all. For your purposes, the XLR patchbay is great, and you don't need a TRS bay.

I have my preamps go through a XLR patchbay, so I get all my inputs on the front of the rack. And the preamp outs goes into another patchbay (trs) which I use to route the signal on its way to my other gear.

So it's

Mic --(XLR - XLR cable)-->XLR patchbay (w/TRS on back) --(TRS-XLR cable)-->Preamp--(TRS-TRS cable)-->Patchbay--(TRS-TRS cable)-->destination (usually my HD24)

Stefan Elmblad said:
I have my preamps go through a XLR patchbay, so I get all my inputs on the front of the rack. And the preamp outs goes into another patchbay (trs) which I use to route the signal on its way to my other gear.

So it's

Mic --(XLR - XLR cable)-->XLR patchbay (w/TRS on back) --(TRS-XLR cable)-->Preamp--(TRS-TRS cable)-->Patchbay--(TRS-TRS cable)-->destination (usually my HD24)

That's what I would do... but the XLR patch bay he linked to in the original has XLR on the front and back. Easier for me since I have a load of XLR-XLR cables.

Unfortunately the phantom power switches are still on the back of my Digi 002R. :mad:

Back