Preamp substitution?/What IS a preamp?

natbot

Ok, so i just got a Delta 44 and in the manual it suggests sending all mics and guitars through a preamp (more hidden costs?! i know, i know, to be expected). Could i just run my lines through my old Fostex Analog 4-Track instead? Will this act as a pre-amp? hmmm, maybe i don't understand what a preamp does... help!

ps. The Midiman Audio Buddy seems to be the way to go...

A preamp is generally speaking the signal conditionner that is needed to get your signal to the right level, for example as input for a power amp, or a recorder...

Everything with a mic input or guitar input has got it. Mixers have one for each channel, your fostex might have one for each channel. The quality of standalone unit is, offcourse, better than those that come built-in something...

Your old fostex has got some, probably. But that doesn't mean you can use it! To use it, you have to be able to get the signal out of the fostex again, right after the preamp! These outputs are mosly labeled 'direct out'. An output/input labelled 'insert' can be used too...

hmmmm, interesting. my Memory Man has an echo out and a direct out. so when i use the 'direct out' it's acting as a preamp?

if this is the case, am i compromising signal quality by using such methods and not purchasing a 'real' preamp? I'm sure i've not enough gear with the 'direct out' feature to potentially bypass ever purchasing a preamp... am i being stupid?

Ooohhh... You got me.

Really don't know if this would act as a preamp too... hmmm... The direct out I meant is on mixers. They have a direct out just after the preamp for recording purposes. So the new definition of what you need is: a device with a direct out right after the preamp. :D

Now on effect boxes the direct out is something different. The direct out on an effect box is just the input signal, without the effect. I would think that it's buffered, so this output has a lower impedance, which would make it usable as a preamp IF the level of the signal is good.

It certainly isn't meant to be used as preamp.

To cheapest solution for preamps is probably a mixer with direct outs or inserts. A mixer has a mic pre for every mic input, and you can do more with it than just use the mic pres...

Two cheap solutions...

1 - Art Tube MP around $100 people say it works good.
2 - Behringer mixer (602) - $100 behringer mixers are religion around here. but they are cheap, and do have preamps.

Those are the cheap solutions and if your beginning its probably a good idea to consider something along these lines.

That said, I recently added a "good" preamp and it has made a huge difference in the quality of the sound I am getting.

Are you plugging your guitar into anything for recording (amp, mic, etc.)?

i need a preamp to run mics and guitars through before hitting my delta44, but i'm also hoping i can get a preamp i can use for live performances as well, just to clip my sound a little better. is this 2 birds with one stone possible? a live preamp isn't much good if it doesn't have eqs... ugh.

The Midiman Audio Buddy seems to be a fair deal (though it has no eq options). i need each line to remain seperate after the preamp so that i can keep them seperated when they hit the delta44.

Back