Preamp/pickup recommendations for a D-18

perceive

as per the subject looking for a pre/pick for a martin d18.
I am also concerned I dont want to make too many marks etc for resale.

The main one I have been looking at is the Fishman Ellipse Matrix Blend.

Has anyone tried this with a D18?
I am guessing by the reviews they seem more than adequate - but - and this question is a must - what other recommendations do you guys have and WHY is worth an extra brownie point!

Thanks in advance!

I've been very impressed with the K&K Pure Western Mini. You may want to give them a look before you decide.

Start here And follow the links you'll find a lot of opinions and good reviews on many acoustic pickup systems. Bottom line you need to do some research and if possible hear a few. The Ellipse blend is not my favorite but many people like them. I don't mainly because the last place you want to mic an acoustic is inside the body. A lot will depend on what situation you'll be using the guitar in. A solo guitar player would not necessarily use the same system as someone in a band. Everyone has different needs and as a result requires a different approach.

Start here And follow the links you'll find a lot of opinions and good reviews on many acoustic pickup systems. Bottom line you need to do some research and if possible hear a few. The Ellipse blend is not my favorite but many people like them. I don't mainly because the last place you want to mic an acoustic is inside the body. A lot will depend on what situation you'll be using the guitar in. A solo guitar player would not necessarily use the same system as someone in a band. Everyone has different needs and as a result requires a different approach.
Thanks for that - that thread helped but left me with more questions and no answers :eek::D
I am not too concerned about budget but would like to try to limit things to $300USD... having said that if the best option is more or less that is what I will go with.
I guess one of my main concerns is still a pickup that will cause minimal damage with its installation..
Now for how I will use it. It will be plugged directly into an avalon U5 - often going through some of my effects on the way (tape echoes and stuff).
So primarily as a recording tool. I believe it makes a lot more sense to my workflow to be able to do it that way and record with a traditional mic when working free of effects. Tonally I got the Martin cos of its darker nature or.. warmer... to use to very overused terms... if I wanted a brighter tone (one day I probably will) then I would look at a different guitar. So a pickup that went with that would be good.
I am guessing that my biggest obstacle is going to be finding places in .au that actually have a selection of pickups. And by that I mean actually have them and dont just have a sign up saying they stock the brand.. but oh when you want it, takes 6 months for them to get for you. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for your responses !

I've got the blend in my D28 and it even sounds good run into my 69 twin, much better through a pa with an acoustiq on the front end. The blend actually records great acoustic guitar for a mix but I use a coupla SDC's for solo or lighter stuff

I know aftermarket you can choose your favorite from a myriad of options, but if its any consolation, Martin's OEM pickups are all Fishman.

That said, I agree that the K&K are amazing. I haven't looked for them on eBay in quite a while, and its just the pickup, no preamp, but the Sunrise soundhole mag pickup is still my absolute favorite acoustic pickup.

Actually, the K&K UltraPure, which I have put in my Taylors, has a very good preamp with it, as well as volume adjustment that sits just inside the soundhole. All with no holes put in the guitar.

Back