Preamp on insert during mix

funkydrummer

I want to know if it is possible to place a mic preamp on a mixer's insert path for use during mixdown. I record in a bedroom studio and play all instruments myself. I record everything clean to tape, then eq, compress, etc. while mixing. I was considering getting a tube mic preamp to colour some sounds.

If the signal is already recorded then it has already been preamped, so I don't believe this will be very beneficial for you.

funkydrummer said:
Since I record alone in a single room, I find it easier to track everything clean, and then experiment with sounds/tones while mixing.

Still not getting the point. Why should recording alone in a single room stop you from using a different preamp. :confused: You can't plug into that preamp and record as opposed to whatever it is you are doing now. And what do you mean by tracking it "Clean" most preamps are clean. If not, you have a problem.

If you are talking about explosive mayhem, then go for it. The pre is going to gag on line level, and depending on the pre it will either give a really cool, distortion you like, or utter rat pedal mayhem. Either way, try it.

You will also probably incur a TON of noise, but if the mayhem outweighs the detriment to the sound... you decide... I have printed entire mixes through 1272's....

Joel Hamilton said:
If you are talking about explosive mayhem, then go for it. The pre is going to gag on line level, and depending on the pre it will either give a really cool, distortion you like, or utter rat pedal mayhem. Either way, try it.

You will also probably incur a TON of noise, but if the mayhem outweighs the detriment to the sound... you decide... I have printed entire mixes through 1272's....

I assumed he would plug into a Hi Z/line input if there was one.

[This part meant for Funky]
Don't plug a line level signal into the mic pre. If you do, make sure the tape is rolling first. And take some pictures afterwards.

Don't plug a line level signal into the mic pre. If you do, make sure the tape is rolling first. And take some pictures afterwards.[/QUOTE]

I did not consider the fact that it would be a line level source. Thanks

funkydrummer said:
Don't plug a line level signal into the mic pre. If you do, make sure the tape is rolling first. And take some pictures afterwards.

I did not consider the fact that it would be a line level source. Thanks[/QUOTE]

I hate it when I forget small details like that. :eek: :D

Back