PreAmp MBox vs. Firepod

rothy

I recently switched form an original MBox to a Firepod and am having issues with getting a quality recording out of the same mics. I use my setup 95% of the time to record Guitar/bass/keyboard and 5% of the time to record spoken word presentations for my work (which is great for me, as I have convinced the powers that be at my work to purchase new monitors, mics and the firepod...:cool:). I have achieved much better results with the Firepod than the MBox recording instruments.

Anyways... I used to get pretty good quality spoken word recordings from my MXL 2000 mic into my MBox into my iMac with Protools.

I am using the same mic into the firepod into the same iMac and the recording are horrible. Very thin and very echo-ey. I used 3 different programs (cubase, logic express and Garageband) and got the same results. I played with all the settings and could not get anything as good as the recording with the MBox. I recorded the other day and it was so bad that I pulled out the old MBox and used it instead of the Firepod.

So I guess my questions is: Do I need to run the mic through a preamp into the firepod? If so, what preamps do you recommend. At most I will need to record 2 separate mics.

why dont you just leave both hooked up and choose which one to use for each application?

just a thought.

The Firepod has built in preamps. Make sure there's no line input in the rear jacks.

I just bought the FP and the pres kick ass.:D

Back